Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nice video about Larry Williams

Nice video about Larry Williams

Thanks for the link Kees.

Excellent viewing. I wish Larry (and Don) all the very best.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Kees, a nice snippet into Larry's world.

Of course,we made the great bulk of planes used in the museum. I saw nice molding planes and hollows and rounds that Larry made in the cabinet shop. We were glad to get some outside help at the time,since Jon and I were tasked with making every tool you can think of for the entire Historic Trades Department. Plus special executive gifts for visiting heads of states,and retiring high ranking administrative personnel.

It was too much for just 2 guys.

Presume you and jon made all or most of the bench planes that were used in the museum, as well as the saws?

Great video, thanks for posting Kees! Larry and Don are awesome. I wonder if anyone would be making traditional wooden planes today if it weren't for those guys.

We did make the bench planes used in all the Historic Area shops. Some special molding planes,and the cooper's jointers also. Saws too. And many other tools.

Thanks Kees, that was fun.

When Larry says no improvements until they came along (can't remember what he said exactly), I'd hope he's not talking about the bench planes.

We're aware of a significant improvement between the common single iron bench planes and what's generally available today!!

He might have one or two curious opinions , but overall I think the guy has done great work.

I have made a few posts here,but I have deleted them,and modified them,because no doubt someone will be offended.

David,he said to the effect that the 18th. C. planes were the most sophisticated planes ever invented. But,he still uses single irons only. Double irons were in use by then,even advertised in a Philadelphia ad in the 1780's IIRC.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-01-2014 at 2:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    He might have one or two curious opinions , but overall I think the guy has done great work.
    Larry might not agree with this, but the best thing he's done to date is release the DVD that shows the rest of us how to make an excellent plane on the first try. I don't mean that to minimize his planes, I mean that DVD really does have immense value beyond anything else out there to someone who wants to make side escapement planes without any trial and error.

The only unfortunate thing being how difficult it is to find good dry truly quartersawn beech.

Thanks for the reminder ! ! ! !

I wasn't ready to buy when his plane making video(s) came out and I have no intention of making, or in my case attempting to make, great planes; but I am starving for a top shelf woodworking DVD.

I been keeping my eye on the Ian Kirby set but $80 bucks for three DVDs and I hear they are slow going and repetitive, is a bit rich for me.

The Old Street Tools plane DVD(s) might just be the ticket I been looking for. I will more than likely find I can apply the knowledge gained to other work I do as well.

He might have one or two curious opinions
    Yah back in the day I used to argue with him (on FWW) until the cows came home, (or the woodworkers WENT home). How ever you want to look at it.

That was before I knew who the heck he is.
    Ha, ha,
    I think we both made quite an ass of our selves.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh good times . . .
    I miss those days.

Ha, ha, ha,
    I might be found on his side arguing for single iron planes.
    As long as they are bedded (angled) for the wood being worked.

advertised
    So they weren’t good enough to sell them selves by word of mouth.
    A new twist to generate sales perhaps ?

OK, ok
    I couldn’t resist.

unfortunate thing being how difficult it is to find good dry truly quartersawn [wood]
    Yep I hate shakes. What little plane making I have done makes me appreciate the problem of finding the good big stuff.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 06-01-2014 at 4:59 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Unless something has changed, the DVDs only cover side escapement planes. If you want to build bench planes, finding one that works right is the best way to go about it, then you can have that plane handy when you're laying yours out or want to see where lines intersect, etc.

That's assuming you can find wood worthy of a bench plane. That's a challenge. Strange thing with maple is there are GOBS of turning blanks for table legs that are 3x3. It's just not big enough to make anything other than a plane with a 2" iron, when all of the large vintage planes I have come across have been in the 2 1/2 inch range.

Beech....good luck. Find a beech tree, I guess and wait 4 years.

But if you ever intend to cut a moulding, the side escapement DVD is worth the cost. Figure if you ever decide to unload it, you won't be out much money.

Never did see a tutorial that really told what I'd want to know about coffin smoothers with double irons, and by that I mean one that tells you just how to make one so that will feed fat and full width thin shavings, iron set close or not. Not many planes come able to do that, even the vintage planes often have some differential shrinkage issues that keep the wedge from allowing it, even if they were properly made.

Notice the style of work bench he is using !

(heck . . . I can't argue with him about that)
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.