Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Freehand curve cut on a tablesaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Martin, all of those are valid in helping to put what someone has said or written into a reasonable context. But real professions are controlled by scholars who under scientific standards and ethical standards constantly under review are empowered by law to give and revoke liscences. If one has a daughter who "is engaged to be married to a professional",they are going to be shocked if she marries a plumber. A professional acts on not just what will work now,but on what will continue to work for a time ethically acceptable. For those of us who are old and have always expected the written word to be generally more accurate than conversation ,it's a leap to READ even in conversational forums what seems to be wrong. I will add one example, the word " replica" was coined two hundred years ago to indicate a copy MADE BY THE PERSON WHO MADE THE ORIGINAL. Because it sounds more highfalutin it is heard, or read, in commercials every day. If I'm buying a Rembrandt replica....I'm going to be really irritated if the image is a plastic decal.
    Gee Mel, the last time I checked, plumbers and electricians, lowly tradespeople as it may be, are required to have licenses. They have to certify through testing and experience before they can get that license. And that license can be revoked if they don't maintain the standards that their profession requires.

I have always thought of them as professionals. And I'll continue to consider them as such because without them you, I and everybody else may no longer have any safe places in which to live or work.

Clint, aka non-professional plumber

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    What keeps me from doing stand up wheelies going down a highway on my sportbike?

ahh, the answer to that should be, nothing.

I miss having a bike...

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian phillips View Post
    Tom Silva not a "professional" LOL
    Is he turning out quality work????Check
    Is he doing it in an efficient way????Check
    Is he making a decent living????More Than Likely

If the idea of that freehand cut on a (job site) table scares or offends you in any way:
    1-never operate a chainsaw
    2-never, and I mean never, drive an automobile under any circumstances, let alone during rush hour traffic on a crowded freeway
    1 I will use a chainsaw with a fence next time (that's the correct way, based on your logic)
    2 I will drive under all circumstances even if I am drunk or am not wearing a seatbelt or am dead tired after working a 12-hour shift two days in a row (that's ok, based on your logic).

The practice of safety assessment, thanks to your logic/reasoning, has just undergone a big leap.

Simon

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    IMO a TV host should be held to the same high standards as a shop class teacher, they both want to educate their audience. A lot of people watch these kind of shows to learn how to do things the right way and I know for a fact if a teacher would demonstrate this kind of cut in front of his class he would be in big trouble.
    That doesn't mean I always play by the rules, I've done stupid things in the shop (or elsewhere) but at least no one was there to film me doing so.
    In no way am I suggesting Tom Silva is a non professional, his work is outstanding and tenfold better than mine.
    My 2 cts.

A bit off topic but what is the large yellow digital controller on the drop saw at 1:24?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 07-15-2016 at 5:25 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Martin Wasner...I'm smiling ��.

I think the term is "scratcher"....we live minutes from the BRP.Imagine custom Vansons,grapefruit sized cahoonas,focus that completely eliminates any notion of fear?We build suspensions in-house from the ground up.Speed means nothing,control on the othe hand is everything.Surfing pavement,we invented it.Still one of the things that makes life on this rock worth living.Drifting through mnt passes,alone,no one around.Spending literally hours,in the zone.I took off one whole year and dedicated it to exploring the limits of traction.I was going through a set of DOT racing spec tyres in less than a w/end.

Dang,what's that old saying about the older I get the faster...?I can unequivocally say BS.Cheers,BW.

threads like this reveal who the professionals are out there vs the hobbyists. Any cabinetmaker, finish carpenter, etc knows this is done CONSTANTLY on jobsites and shops all over. For those that have been using the tablesaw EVERY DAY for over 20 years are safe freehand cutting to a scribe line. Hobbyists that use the T-saw a few hours a week since buying it last year - very different comfort level - very understandable. We pros also know not to freehand a scribe line that is in the middle of of a thick plank, foam, lexan, or other sheets that are notorious for binding. Edge of 3/4" poplar? Easy peasy.

No one is really right or wrong here - its all situational. Maybe since ATOH is targeting DIYer's, then it might be wrong.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    threads like this reveal who the professionals are out there vs the hobbyists. Any cabinetmaker, finish carpenter, etc knows this is done CONSTANTLY on jobsites and shops all over. For those that have been using the tablesaw EVERY DAY for over 20 years are safe freehand cutting to a scribe line. Hobbyists that use the T-saw a few hours a week since buying it last year - very different comfort level - very understandable. We pros also know not to freehand a scribe line that is in the middle of of a thick plank, foam, lexan, or other sheets that are notorious for binding. Edge of 3/4" poplar? Easy peasy.

No one is really right or wrong here - its all situational. Maybe since ATOH is targeting DIYer's, then it might be wrong.
    I have been using a table saw for over 40 years and still would not try to freehand cut

Hey Jerome - I see your from Medina. Stop buy for a beer sometime - I'm in Parma. This thread seems like it could be a pissing match, but hopefully all in good spirits. Like I said - its what you are comfortable with. Ive been using T-saws professionally since about 1986, so I guess i'm ten years short of your experience, but then again, I have over 100 stitches in my hands from separate T-saw cuts - not proud of it, but they weren't from free handing. I do a lot more "dangerous" procedures on the T-saw, because I am so familiar with what I can get away with, but wouldn't dare mention them here.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

One might argue that a pro can get away with a lot of things that are not advisable for other pros or novices. I deal with chemicals in my line of work, and I think the day-in day-out familiarity with the lion gives me an arguably false sense of confidence that he will never bite my head as I place it yet again in his mouth.

One should also note that the video in question was not made for pros. It was SPECIFICALLY made, and targeted to, hobbyists and homeowners.

It is thus inexcusably negligent, and I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    One should also note that the video in question was not made for pros. It was SPECIFICALLY made, and targeted to, hobbyists and homeowners.

It is thus inexcusably negligent, and I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.
    I don't know about that. There are lots of video's out there on all sorts of topics. Have we become so stupid that we can't do without a legal disclaimer on everything that someone else thinks is possibly dangerous? I hope we can all decide for ourselves on things like this so that we don't become needlessly fearful or needlessly dependent on some government agency in order to make decisions on our own.

Well it isn't the safest way to make a cut, but I also wouldn't put MDF anywhere, especially areas prone to water. Joints left a lot to be desired. It almost qualifies as a hack job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I don't know about that. There are lots of video's out there on all sorts of topics. Have we become so stupid that we can't do without a legal disclaimer on everything that someone else thinks is possibly dangerous? I hope we can all decide for ourselves on things like this so that we don't become needlessly fearful or needlessly dependent on some government agency in order to make decisions on our own.
    Say, I'm going to make a Yoo-Toob video on how to construct a small, personal nuclear device. I sure hope that darned government doesn't make me take it down. Darned government, always telling me what I can't do .......

It's completely safe if you know all the tricks & potential pitfalls, I swear! (But I won't mention those tricks & pitfalls in the video, as I don't want to insult my viewers.)