Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell compact circular saws

Rockwell compact circular saws

Anyone have experience with either of Rockwell's compact circular saws? I'm looking for something other than my jig saw for ripping sheet goods using a straight guide.

You may have some limitations on choice of saw blades for it.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have the C-Man version. It works fairly well. Dust collection is good. I am limited in blades though, since it is 3/8" arbor. There are I think more blades for the Rockwell. If it has a 1/2" arbor. I am going to try making a reducing bushing out of a 10 mm fender washer to the C-Man. I just have to drill a 3/8" hole. Dan

I looked at the Rockwell saw. It didn't seem to have very good balance when holding. Also, the blades seem to be a bit of an odd size and harder to find.

John

You can get blades from Forrest. But then, your blade will have cost nearly as much as the saw.

How-some-ever - I have the iconic PC 314 worm drive. I use the Forrest blade when I need a top-quality cut. Works beautifully.

4-1/2" blades are not hard to find on-line. Dunno about in stores.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks for the responses. Just bought a Rockwell RK3441K. Seems OK. Test cuts are fine. Smooth running. Push button safety switch is a little awkward. May need to get a Forrest blade - another $65.

Why did you go with a compact over a normal sized circular saw?

I have a normal sized circular saw which I have used to rip 4X8 sheet goods but it is heavy and cumbersome. I also sometimes use my jig saw to rip sheet good with mixed success using a straight edge guide. My last attempt with the jig saw was a disaster which for some unknown reason resulted in a bent blade - was using a straight edge guide which I have done in the past. So I thought that I would try the Rockwell trim saw. Besides I haven't bought any new tools in a while.

I bought one last year for remodeling. I got it to cut drywall, both new sheets, and to cut access holes in existing walls. I own several circular saws (corded and cordless), as well as a Festool track saw, but I wanted a small, lightweight saw -- one that I could hold on a wall or ceiling if needed, to make a cut. I think it is very well built. I have not looked at replacement blades since I cannot imagine my narrow usage for it will ever require one. However, if Forrest makes one, that's great news. I love their blades, although they are expensive.

I have a lot of respect for Dremel (and have a healthy assortment of their tools), and wanted to buy their mini circular saw. But the reviews were not very positive. The Rockwell I just happened to see on a quick walk-thru at Lowe's one day. I never buy power tools at Lowe's, so it was just dumb luck that I spotted it. I found a fitting for the saw's hose, in my ridiculously vast array of dust collection fittings, that fits my portable shop vac. It does help a little to control dust.
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 01-22-2015 at 9:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Densmore View Post
    Why did you go with a compact over a normal sized circular saw?
    Easy to hold and use - much more compact and "agile" if you will. Will cut 3/4" ply @ 45* - just barely, though. I still have my 25 yr-old Crapsman 7-1/4" stuck in the way-back for those times I need a deeper cut - which last happened in spring 2012 - dadoes in some treated 4x4 for garden shelving I had been drafted - I mean delighted - to make.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    You can get blades from Forrest. But then, your blade will have cost nearly as much as the saw.

How-some-ever - I have the iconic PC 314 worm drive. I use the Forrest blade when I need a top-quality cut. Works beautifully.

4-1/2" blades are not hard to find on-line. Dunno about in stores.
    That size and form factor are useful indeed. I guess B&D/Stanley weren't selling 500/day so couldn't be bothered to continue producing them.

Blog Entries
    You can find used Porter Cable 314 saws on the auction site. I would buy one of those. I have one that I love. It is absolutely unavailable.

My recent experience with a Rockwell tool was not good.

I should say unavailable new!
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-23-2015 at 2:24 PM.

Wanted to add Menards Perfomax brand has blades that fit the Rockwell. Fairly cheap. These are the ones I am trying to make a bushing for. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    You can find used Porter Cable 314 saws on the auction site. I would buy one of those. I have one that I love. It is absolutely unavailable.
    Unavailable new, I think you meant.

I looked for a long time at auction items, but I have never been comfortable buying things with motors from there.

Then, in thread here a couple years ago, one guy posted that he had one but hardly used it.

PM blitz launched - took very little time to find the number where he was happy and I was comfortable. Like new. Classy steel case included.

In normal use, I cannot see how it will not last well beyond my lifetime, I also have its cousin - the PC 548 bayonet saw. Same compact design, steel case, and worm gear drive. These tools were clearly designed for the construction trades - able to take bounces off the floor - the first floor, from the 2d floor rafters.

I also have a Porter Cable 314 worm drive mini saw (I couldn't pass it up at $40 on Craigslist). It is a great saw in all ways until you have to replace the blade. Because of the price of blades for the 314 I almost always grab my 7 1/4 Milwaukee worm drive saw. The Porter Cable is nicer to use than the Milwaukee but the blades cost 4 times as much.