Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, really scary sharp, REALLY!!!

Thumbs up Okay, really scary sharp, REALLY!!!

Last evening Scott Hackler was asking about the razor edge.......if it can come off the wheel of the CBN wheel. I told him that I had only honed skews with a diamond stone, but would try to put a skew to the CBN.

Did that this morning.......this is the large, Alan Lacer skew.....very heavy, and I always had difficulty with it because I thought the way I purchased it, the bevel was just way too fat.

With the CBN wheel, and just a few minutes [15] this morning, I completely changed the bevel to a wider bevel and a thinner edge............whoa boy, what an edge!!! I hope the pics show up well........my skills at close up are not that great, but let me say, I would not want to this thing to slip and hit my arm........stitches for sure!!! I failed to get the edge perfect, that was my fault..........I stopped so I could get the pics posted.....I should have gone another pass to make it perfect.

Now I do have on the edge a little spot discolored because I pressed too hard, but if one just lets the tool rest against the wheel, no discoloration occurs......take a look. By the way, even with this heavy grinding to reshape the bevel.....the wheel shows no wear whatsoever!!!

IMGP2921.jpgIMGP2920.jpgIMGP2919.jpgIMGP2918.jpgIMGP2917.jpg
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-14-2011 at 9:18 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

wow thats a good looking edge. I have slowly been getting my skews where they need to be in the terms of sharp, but I use my grinder then a 1x30" belt sander up to 1200 then leather strop w/ white compound. By the time I am done it is dinner time. 15 Mins sounds quite appealing. On that wheel is it rated in Grits like a stone wheel or there just one type....Awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burgess View Post
    wow thats a good looking edge. I have slowly been getting my skews where they need to be in the terms of sharp, but I use my grinder then a 1x30" belt sander up to 1200 then leather strop w/ white compound. By the time I am done it is dinner time. 15 Mins sounds quite appealing. On that wheel is it rated in Grits like a stone wheel or there just one type....Awesome?
    Chris,

There are 2 grits available at this time, from D-way Tools......80 grit and 180 grit. I have the 180 grit. I shaved hair off my arm with this after I took the pics.

Does the new wheel keep the skew from skating??

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Does the new wheel keep the skew from skating??
    Don't I wish! That is the reason I pressed too hard and got a little discoloration on the edge........I was pressing down on my grinder platform with my fist while pivoting the tool.........that is an acquired skill..........one that takes a good bit of practice to get the bevel and the edge to be one continuous flow.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-14-2011 at 9:59 AM.

Well, I jumped on to the CBN grinding wheels band wagon with both feet. Boy, do they work fast, you really have to have a light touch.or you will wind up with a nub. I assumed that since I sharpened all my spindle gouges to the same angles and that the wear on the wheel was a not issue, that I could use a spacer to set the jig holder from the wheel. I also did the same for my bowl gouges.
    DSCN1597.jpg DSCN1598.jpg DSCN1595.jpg DSCN1601.jpg DSCN1599.jpg
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-14-2011 at 2:00 PM.

Very interesting........
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Gee whiz, Joe, what a nice setup! I really like what you did there.............2 CBN wheels? Be still my beating heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    Well, I jumped on to the CBN grinding wheels band wagon with both feet. Boy, do they work fast, you really have to have a light touch.or you will wind up with a nub. I assumed that since I sharpened all my spindle gouges to the same angles and that the wear on the wheel was a not issue, that I could use a spacer to set the jig holder from the wheel. I also did the same for my bowl gouges.
    DSCN1597.jpg DSCN1598.jpg DSCN1595.jpg DSCN1601.jpg DSCN1599.jpg
    Best idea I have seen today that I bet a lot of us copy!! LOL...thanks for posting this Joe, I have faded little pencil marks on the arm of my wolverine jig to mark parting tool, skew...etc...etc...that of course are hard to see, wear off as you move the arm in and out, and get crud from the shop all over it making it even harder to see....yup, gonna go get me some pvc pipe this week!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Hey fellas, since we are talking about skew grinds, I really want to throw this one out there. This isn't my idea, this is how Eli Avisera (sp?) suggests grinding a skew. Instead of doing what we all want to with our nifty grinders and fast cutting wheels, and grind a concave hollow in our bevel. If you make the bevel convex (bullet shaped) the bevel is then in constant contact with the workpiece and the tool can be "rolled" on the bevel to present the cutting edge. The tool remains supported at all times, and when cutting the edge is supported as closely as is physically possible. It also makes freehand sharpening a snap. So far I haven't managed to get a catch with my skew since I started grinding this way. I tried the curved edge that Lacer suggests, and I think this way (to me) is superior, it dramatically improves tool control. So far I haven't been able to get out of control with it set up this way, and the finish is glass smooth (Like after a fine finishing plane has been there).

I urge anyone, who "has a bad relationship" or "isn't on speaking terms" with their skew to give this a shot, I think it will open a whole new world to you. Even you "skew masters" out there might find this a brilliant idea (like I said it wasn't mine :P)

Here are some pics of the shape of my skew. If you want directions on how to do this, I will gladly try and explain

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

11. Rick,

I honestly do not know what is the best way to sharpen a skew.......concave or convex.........I suspect it is mostly about personal preference. All I know is the one I sharpened this morning...........I took it to a piece of hard maple I have chucked up at present...........curlees came off in long spiraling twists.............and I made a pummel like one would make for the top of a table leg, and boy the crispness of the cut and the fact that no tear out made for a sweet experience...........next time I make a table, I am actually looking forward to using this tool!

It's amazing what a shearing cut off a sharp skew is like, nothing else like it in woodturning. I agree, this is all about finding your happy place with grinds and shapes of our tools. I think the skew gets the better of a lot of turners... one bad catch and that's enough to "never want to do that again." I certainly don't blame anyone for that, it's human nature. So it's good to have lots of "tools" in our mental sharpening tool box. I'm just hoping this helps someone out, who might never want to touch their skew again, it's arguably one of the most versatile of turning tools. Carbide scrapers and cutters don't hold a candle to the finish you get with a sharp skew. I'm glad you're finally enjoying yours, it took me awhile to warm up to mine
    Last edited by Rick Markham; 07-14-2011 at 4:21 PM.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I sharpen my skew like you do, Rick. I got the idea from Jimmy Clewes when I took his class, and he freely admits that he borrowed it from Eli. To each his/her own, but I like the 'bullet' grind better.

14. Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I sharpen my skew like you do, Rick. I got the idea from Jimmy Clewes when I took his class, and he freely admits that he borrowed it from Eli. To each his/her own, but I like the 'bullet' grind better.
    David,

What is it that makes the convex grind work better for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    David,

What is it that makes the convex grind work better for you?
    It may be mental, but I feel like I have more control over the skew with that grind. The downside to it... Honing is a bit more difficult since I don't have the two points of contact for the hone to register. Sounds like you folks with the fancy wheels don't need to hone anyway!