Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door ideas for new shop.

Door ideas for new shop.

I will soon be building a new shop (detached garage). I was looking for some ideas for the door. I am not keen on the overhead use of traditional garage door. I am looking for someting insulated as I am going to heat the space as well. What are you all using in your shop?

Sliding door on mine, not insulated, but it would not be hard to do.

The building I use for a shop was already here, but if I was to build my own and knew It would never need to have a vehicle parked in it, I'd probably go with a double door for getting machines and sheet goods in and out and skip on the roll up door.

On my former garage/shop, I built a pair of outswing doors with a cedar half lapped frame 1 1/2" thick, put 1.5" foam where the frame wasn't and skinned both sides with plywood. My doors gave me an opening about 7 ft square. Thus far I haven't needed anything bigger. Of course you could buy a similar sized prehung unit, but mine was inexpensive: under $200 for all. On my new shop I'm going to build similar doors, but big enough to get a truck in- 9 ft high by 8 ft wide.

Sliding door would my first choice. The one I built for mine however is a double outward opening door. It just a typical Z frame type. One is fastened shut 99% of the time. I did add that blue sheet(1" thick) insulation to it.

My shop is about 20' X 20'. Heated with Propane and cooled with a window A/C mounted in the wall. R13 in the walls an R30 in the ceiling. The door is a steel out swing french door. The door is foam insulated and provides a 72" opening when both doors are swung open. I think security and insulation is important.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I didn't want an overhead door either so I used three doors with strap hinges. I used bolts through the doors, with friction nuts (not sure if that is the right term) so you need a wrench on the inside to get them off.

There are sliding locks on the left and middle doors to keep them closed securely. I use the door on the right for normal traffic in and out. I have been really happy with the way they turned out.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Insulated, radiant barrier equipped overhead doors. The house had the overhead doors, I added the R10 / radiant barrier this year. Works pretty well so far.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

The detached building that came with our house that became my shop had a 10' wide regular garage door. I took that out, raised the opening to about 86" so my van will fit in, and made 2 5' wide doors that open outward. I used 4 12" strap hinges, bent so that the mounting bolts are inside for security. I made the doors as torsion boxes. Filled the open cavities with the rigid foam board cut to fit, then put the last skin on. They have been up for about 5 years now, and no problems. I do need to fix where the strap hinges are so that it is more weather tight, just haven't gotten around to it yet since I don't heat or cool the shop. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I still prefer a slider, like the one I put on my shop. Relatively inexpensive to build, but solid as a rock. Slides easily and I can get anything through it. I haven't insulated it, but it would be easy to do with closed cell foam.

Shop exterior and office interior 011.jpg

Similar to Roger's

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    I didn't want an overhead door either so I used three doors with strap hinges. I used bolts through the doors, with friction nuts (not sure if that is the right term) so you need a wrench on the inside to get them off.

There are sliding locks on the left and middle doors to keep them closed securely. I use the door on the right for normal traffic in and out. I have been really happy with the way they turned out.

Roger
    I built triple doors on a 12'w x 8'h opening. The door in the middle swings in and is hinged to one of the side doors which both swing out. Cane bolts hold the two side doors in place most of the time as the middle door gets most used.

I made these doors lightweight and insulated using 1/4" AC plywod front and back over a 2x clear cedar frame with 1-1/2" styrofoam sheets sandwiched inside. I can easily lift each 4 x 8 panel.

The crossbucks are decorative and are 1 x 4 cedar and match the loft doors above.

Cost of materials including the heavy hinges and oher hardware: less than $250.00 but I scrounged the styrofoam.

If anyone is interested I will provide construction details, just ask.

Bret
    Attached Images Attached Images

My solution is similar to Roger Jensen's. I bought three half-light insulated steel door panels (Stanley brand), installed 1 1/2 pair of 4" heavy bearing butts on each. I use draw bolts to the header and sill to keep the bi-folding set in place--the left panel hinges on the jamb, strikes the center panel. My doors face south and the natural light entering the windows is a delight.

I have a standard 36" entry door (insulated steel with window) for regular comings and goings and have two double 36", out-swing (security hinges) insulated steel doors with windows for wider access as well as being able to open the shop up in nice weather. Since the larger doors open outward, they don't take up any space in the shop when they are, well...open. These door assemblies replaced the overhead garage type doors that were there when we bought the property. (The last bay is still garage space with a garage door, but for the ZTR, landscaping tools, potting supplies, other miscellaneous "stuff" and guinea pig feed/bedding)

Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-28-2010 at 9:44 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My shop is off the back of my garage (I don't have to go outside to get to the shop) and I use one set of doors like Jim has. Mine have no windows though since there's no view.

Chris, what I like most about the windows in my doors is the natural light they let in, even on a "dreary" day.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would make a bifold that opens upward like an aircraft hanger has they open out and provide an awning in the summer time.