Thread: Interesting cyclone tutorial courtesy of the EPA

Blog Entries

Interesting cyclone tutorial courtesy of the EPA

I immediately thought of Ian when I came across this article while trying to determine how height and width effects cyclone efficiency. Now if can find time to put these formulas in a spreadsheet....

http://www.epa.gov/apti/Materials/AP.../SM_ch%206.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Bill ThompsonNM View Post
    I immediately thought of Ian when I came across this article while trying to determine how height and width effects cyclone efficiency. Now if can find time to put these formulas in a spreadsheet....

http://www.epa.gov/apti/Materials/AP.../SM_ch%206.pdf
    I haven't made it through the entire document yet, but one big point made is the static pressure drop is higher for small cyclones (4" -6") while large cyclones have less pressure drop of (2" - 4"). Since most shop DC blowers can only handle about 8" - 10" SP you are giving up a lot of SP before even connecting to ductwork. But as I said in the other thread a happy medium must be found so you don't kill all suction at the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    I haven't made it through the entire document yet, but one big point made is the static pressure drop is higher for small cyclones (4" -6") while large cyclones have less pressure drop of (2" - 4"). Since most shop DC blowers can only handle about 8" - 10" SP you are giving up a lot of SP before even connecting to ductwork. But as I said in the other thread a happy medium must be found so you don't kill all suction at the source.
    There are some basic truths given in the document. However, pressure drop and efficiency can be manipulated by the cyclone dimensions, gas density, and gas viscosity. Pressure drop and efficiency also vary with the dust loading, many variables at play. Most industrial cyclones have a pressure drop between 3-8"wg.