Thread: Grizzly G0453PX Replacement cutters

Grizzly G0453PX Replacement cutters

I searched around a bit but couldn't find an answer on this. I recently acquired a G0453PX planer with spiral cutter head. I need to replace the cutter inserts (74 of them) and Grizzly price is pretty high. I contacted another vender and he seemed reluctant to say his would fit based. Grizzly labels them as 14mm x 14mm x 2mm, but have seen replacements out there that seem to be a slightly different size...and quite a bit cheaper. Does anyone have experience with replacement cutters for this planer? Or should I look into replacing the head with a spiral head that has more of a shear cut? Thanks.

i've found various prices in the grizzly catalog for what appears to be the same cutter.i think $28.00 for 10 was the lowest.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Belton Garvin View Post
    I searched around a bit but couldn't find an answer on this. I recently acquired a G0453PX planer with spiral cutter head. I need to replace the cutter inserts (74 of them) and Grizzly price is pretty high. I contacted another vender and he seemed reluctant to say his would fit based. Grizzly labels them as 14mm x 14mm x 2mm, but have seen replacements out there that seem to be a slightly different size...and quite a bit cheaper. Does anyone have experience with replacement cutters for this planer? Or should I look into replacing the head with a spiral head that has more of a shear cut? Thanks.
    FYI - Aftermarket or generic inserts vary from the factory inserts that were made for that specific cutterhead, so that route can be very risky and expensive. Also, why do you need to replace all 74 inserts? It is very unlikely that all inserts have been turned all 4 sides (there are 4 cutting edges to each insert).

This is what you need. http://www.oellasawandtool.com/produ...ral-Heads.html
    Or they sell a package of all 74 inserts at an excellent price http://www.oellasawandtool.com/produ...l-G0453PX.html

Perfect fit and customer service that absolutely can't be beat. And way cheaper than Grizzly.
    Last edited by Marty Tippin; 02-19-2016 at 11:40 AM.

I've never tried them, but a couple years ago someone recommended:
    http://pmctool.com/product.php?productID=2179
    I saved the link for future reference.

I wonder why the ones from oellasaw are not square.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    They're square. And an exact replacement for the Grizzly spiral cutterhead.

I replaced roughly half of mine about a year ago after a little mishap. You can't tell which ones were replaced and which ones are original.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I called them, its a typo. They're square. ---Ooops! Sorry, I see Marty caught this.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-19-2016 at 2:33 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Do you feel there is any difference in cut quality or life? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    They're square. And an exact replacement for the Grizzly spiral cutterhead.

I replaced roughly half of mine about a year ago after a little mishap. You can't tell which ones were replaced and which ones are original.

Maybe it is a typo, but it says "14.17mm x 14.7mm".

The person I bought it from stated that he had used 3 sides of the cutters. I haven't been inside yet to see if I can tell which side was left since I don't know which way he rotated them. Just wanted to be prepared in case I need to replace them all.

Thanks everyone for the input. Any of those would be more inexpensive options.

Is there any opinions of the Grizzly spiral head verses one of the other manufacturers that have a slight skew to the heads for a shear cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Belton Garvin View Post
    Is there any opinions of the Grizzly spiral head verses one of the other manufacturers that have a slight skew to the heads for a shear cut?
    I have a Byrd in my jointer and the Grizzly in my planer. I can't tell the difference in the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Belton Garvin View Post
    The person I bought it from stated that he had used 3 sides of the cutters.
    That must have been one heavily used planer. I haven't touched my cutters since installing the new ones a year ago. And I think the original owner used it for 2 years without rotating any of the cutters, so half of my cutters are original and about 4 years old.

Before you spend money on new carbide butters, make sure you really have a problem that needs to be fixed. Run some wood through so you can check the cutters all the way across and see what you get. If you see a grove here or there, identify the one or two cutters that need to be rotated those.

If they've really been rotated 4 times already, you've got very little chance figuring out which way to make the next rotation - unless you happen to find a cutter with a chip out of one side and no marks on the other side - in that case, rotate the clean side and hope the previous owner was consistent in rotating them all the same way.

I thought my cutters were getting worn, and I was looking closely at them, and decided to try cleaning before rotating. Found they had a thin coat of pitch on them, that made them feel dull. Used the bit and blade cleaner in a spray can that Grizzly sells, and a toothbrush to clean them. Like new again.

A good cleaning is definitely on the schedule along with an alignment. I think the previous owner basically kept it lubed and put a lot of glue-ups through the planer (custom skateboard bodies)...which would explain the extra wear. I chipped off a little glue/pitch residue off the exhaust shoot while doing a preliminary inspection.

Thanks for all the input. I'll know more once I get inside and clean her up.