Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does Building Your Own Furniture Save Money?

I cant see why you could not build this from cherry for around $600.00 in materials. Woodworking is my hobby, and I love my hobby....I dont factor in tools and my time.

Building your own furniture might improve quality of similarly sold pieces but does not save you money. There's no way a hobby shop can be as efficient as commercial shops regarding material, tools, time...everything.

Trever, if you decide to build that piece it would look great in Walnut. I'm building kitchen cabinets out of Black Walnut right now and using satin Laquer for the finish and the color is almost identical to your picture. Walnut would also be cheaper than Cherry or Mahogany.

As others have pointed out, the only comparison that makes sense (apples to apples) is if you'd hire someone to custom make a piece of furniture. In that case, you probably could save money by doing it yourself.

I think for this project to work properly you'll need to start with a new Unisaw (get the 5hp version!) A new Laguna 18" bandsaw, a Grizzly 8" jointer, 20" planer and don't forget the new sanding system and vac system. Then you'll need a lot of new hand tools. Lets start with some Japanese chisels........

If you think you'll finish it, go for it!! A lot of successful people ignored conventional wisdom. Good luck and tell us how it comes out!

I couldn't beat walmart prices for a set of book shelves using using particle board, but I wanted shelving that could hold a lot of books. I have a lot of furniture that is clear coated particle board. I am all about function. The desk I am sitting at I built 8 years ago while in college. It is particle board faced with white pine, and birch drawers. It was way more expensive than other things I could get my hands on, but it is still here and will last the rest of my life unlike that furniture in a box, which I know is particle board as well, but thinner material and weak joinery. My point is, that regardless of how you want to tackle the cost issue you could always buy something cheaper. (until you get down to the walmart level that is.

The joy of woodworking is not about saving money, though you could in acute instances. Woodworking is more a love of wood, technique, and creation.
    Last edited by Glen Butler; 05-20-2010 at 10:15 PM.

This is kind of a silly question.
    Follow your heart and build something money can't buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    In a word, No.
    Thank you Joe!.. It is , unfortunatly, true.

its amazing to me that anyone would even equate store bought furniture prices with something you build yourself (unless you build it with the same trash they do) thats like comparing apples and horseapples if you know what i'm saying

any grade schooler that is paying any attention in math class knows that when you solve equations you first have to get a common denominator

gotta make sure you are comparing apples and apples or the conclusion has the distinct possibility of being flawed

also the time equals money argument is not always as cut and dried as it might appear at first glance

Apples to apples it does. Apples to oranges not so much.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Like Jeff, I am building a changing table/dresser (for my soon to be delivered grandson) out of cherry and using the Blumotion slides (not my choice for an heirloom piece but that is what my daughter wants). I am veneering my own panels. Last fall I purchased the 8/4 cherry and it was $6.50/bf and Blum slides are somewhere in the stratosphere. My estimate for this project which looks to be the same size as your entertainment center is $700 - $800. If it was African Mahogany, it would be less, if Honduras Mahagony it would cost much much more.

I doubt that handcrafted TV stands, entertainment centers, coffee tables, etc. will ever be considered heirloom pieces by generations 200 years from now. If you can buy it ready made and it is what you want with the quality you want, it is cheaper to go ahead and buy it.
    Steve

Building your own furniture isn't about saving money. It's about doing it your way, using the wood you want to use, and not having what everyone else has. Building your own is about using your skills to make something that you really really want.

Blog Entries

Talking Balance sheet

Building it yourself
    $600 worth of lumber and tools (amortized over multiple projects)
    buying it
    $600 to purchase
    $2000 to hookers to get the same amount of pleasure building it and enjoying it after it's finished
    guess it's cheaper to build it ( and wife approved!)

build it and have fun! Make the first one simple--maybe pick a simpler style or look for good plans or find a hospitable cabinetry class . . .

As several people have said, while the general answer is no, lets break it down.

Cost of your tools, amortized over the products you make, over your lifetime, and their useful lifetimes. (they cost less if your grandkids will be using them)

What is the item made up of? Comparing particle board furniture to solid wood, is not a comparision. What is your time worth? (would you be better off making money, or does being in the shop, cause you to spend less then if you were not working).
    Are you going to keep this item forever, or is this a build that your going to use for five years?
    Where do you live? How much would it cost to be shipped to you? Can you build it another, cost effective way? (for an example of this, google knock off wood) My sister found that site and something she liked (aka, build it for me). It shows it can be done, but it isn't a apples to apples comparison. (heirloom pieces verses, build to use)