Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Some folks just can't take "NO" for an answer

Just paying it forward Jim. It's just collecting dust and taking up space in my shop.

The extras.....a bed extension and a Jamieson secondary tool rest should Dewey decide to get into HFs......and some spare parts for the Jet VS Mini.....spare belt...spare locking handle....etc.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

And down goes Torres!!! Congratulations Dewey!! 2 grand ought to get your started. Welcome Dewey, you are among friends. Let us see what that bomb looks like.

All the best.

Don

Everybody jump in and help me tell Dewey what he needs to start:

1. a face shield

2. a good chuck

3. any of the Richard Raffan videos or books

4. Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy" video

5. Keith Rowley's book "Wood Turning - A Foundation Course"

6. If you don't have a grinder....a good slow speed grinder

7. Some kind of a grinding jig systems...such as the Wolverine system

Come folks give me a hand.
    Ken

Dewey:
    Forget about doing flat work any more, that's so yesterday! You'll need lots and lots of money to buy:

Lots and lots of sandpaper of all kinds and grits.

An angled drill for sanding with sanding pads.

All kinds of finishes and waxes.

Lighting of course so that you can see what your doing.

Every new tool that someone mentions does something for them that you don't have.

You'll also need to learn how to do metal work, so that you can make tools for yourself.

You will need some sort of respirator, don't forget that.

Lots and lots of wood. Make friends with local power company or tree surgeons. Sometimes you have to slip them a little something. (More money)

Multiple chucks because you'll get tired of changing chuck jaws. Oh yeah, and some more chuck jaws.

A new chainsaw, anything you got now will not do.

Of course, a bandsaw if you don't have one now.

And, lots and lots of time.

But, you are going to love every minute of it. Say goodbye to the folks. You won't be seeing them as much.

All the best.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Everybody jump in and help me tell Dewey what he needs to start:
    About a month of leave since he's going to get little sleep otherwise... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ya done good, Kenny Paul. Real Good.

And I especially like the "Go Navy" connection with The Bomb. You, me, and now the Senior.

Git r dun Chief.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    Ya done good, Kenny Paul. Real Good.

And I especially like the "Go Navy" connection with The Bomb. You, me, and now the Senior.

Git r dun Chief.
    Thanks Andy!

BTW Senior.....I hold the patent on the "Diving Board" bench and I won't license it to anybody. You'll have to come up with one of your own design!

Besides...nobody but a former oilfield roughneck/former ET1 would be stupid.....err......crazy.......err.....dumb.....err....want to turn drastically enough (yeah that sounds better) to use that design!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-18-2009 at 12:56 AM.
    Ken

Fair enough all!

Let me break out my Amazon card and revise my birthday list (Feb 5th) coming up soon. Sure it will be all turning stuff.

Heck yes BRING IT ON!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Dewey wow man you're getting bombed!! Ken what a great gesture and to a great guy too I think! This forum just keeps getting better and better!!
    Dewey my friend you have no idea whats in store for you now that you've entered the vortex but you will enjoy it I can tell you that!!
    And I bet you didnt know this but when Ken gave you the lathe he also gave you a really nice cast iron work surface, Its called your tablesaw!! It makes a really nice place to sit blanks until you can turn them!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Thanks for the reminder Jim....I forgot about gaining the extra storage area.
    Ken

Senior...there is one more requirement. Your first turning MUST be a Bonker. Ken and I will waiver the copyright for one and only one. After that there's a small charge for each one. For you...a Roach Coach coffee will do.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

An addiction that needs no intervention's !

CONGRATULATIONS KEN!!!!!

In the world of turning addiction there is no 12 step method for recovery! This habit is not to be kicked or given up like other habits. The turning addiction is safe, fun, calming, rewarding and generally a great form of therapy! You will now need to add to the addiction with other additctive things, such as the many and different tools to do each and every function on the new drug of choice. Coring tools, hollowing rigs, bowl steadies, and the bounty of gouges, skews, scrapers and chucks to even out the addiction!!!

We should all be greatfull that Ken has taken on this with grace, flair, and childlike abandon!! The smile on his face says to us all:

"I HAVE ARRIVED TO THE DARK SIDE"

Happy turning Ken!!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jeff.........pssstt..........I'll be turning happily on my PM3520B.......Dewey has inherited the "Bomb".

My wife will never ever quit trying to find out who was involved in my bombing. Let see........Hoyt he's at the top of the list......John Hart..........John M........ She has individual voodoo dolls for those three and I even caught her rolling some chicken bones, bits of fur and feathers in front of those dolls recently. She has informed me she hasn't yet forgotten what it was like to have money.Don't come out of hiding yet guys...it's only been 3 years.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Senior...there is one more requirement. Your first turning MUST be a Bonker. Ken and I will waiver the copyright for one and only one. After that there's a small charge for each one. For you...a Roach Coach coffee will do.
    What's a Bonker?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    What's a Bonker?
    Check here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=bonker

Or ask Ken. From what I understand he is King of the Bonkers.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.