Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have used this hose for the past 8 years now and never had a problem no wire required

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...20HD/203626495
    Really? Wow, I thought that would collapse. I wish I had known that because I just ordered another 20' section like I have now. Thanks, Jerome!
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Dust shoe - fail

The build is actually complete but I needed to improve on my DIY dust shoe... this didn't work but may be entertaining for y'all -

David

It did sound neat, in a crunchy sort of way.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Maybe some ice scraper brushes? Take off the brush mcmastercarr prob sells the brush as well.

You can also buy 2" & 3" brush bristles from KentCNC.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    You can also buy 2" & 3" brush bristles from KentCNC.
    I actually made one today, Bruce, with a 'dust shoe kit' (MDF and a $5 broom). These bristles are 4" long and they're 1/2" too short with a simple 1/2" straight flute Freud router bit but it works good enough to keep the chips from flying very far. It captures all of the airborne dust, at least what I can see. I learn a lot about Fusion 360 doing little engineering projects like this so even if it doesn't work as I would like at least I have learned more about the process and software. I'm thinking the broom is only good in tight corners now, though...

David

I think all of your attempts and R&D, even if it costs more, will likely serve you better than any commercially available shoe. We have the Kent on our machine and "it leaves a lot to be desired" is an understatement. Its not the fault of the shoe, design, or manufacture. Its just that its very difficult to have a static shoe that really kills it with regards to pickup in varied situations. One setup may do well on 3D work another a bit better on panel work. Forget about varied bit lengths. You try to set your bristles for the longest bit length and they will be getting cut off by the bit on shorter lengths.

If someone could design a static shoe that would have 90%+ pickup cutting panel products (ply or melamine) full depth (3/4") at high feed speeds (600ipm), they would lock up the market.

We picked up the CNC with the Kent with a 5" line coming off a 2HP oneida cyclone (reduced to 4" right at the shoe) and even with the double row of bristles the bristles are sucked up into the port. I tried throttling the flow to leave the bristles straight and it was worse. Installed a plastic baffle behind the bristles similar to your for sale sign to keep them straight and it helps but we are limited as to how long a rigid baffle can be due to the tool changer.

Its a major pain and cleaning up the spoil board every sheet sucks when there is a lot left behind.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 01-03-2017 at 12:10 PM.

There's nothing wrong with doing some R&D, I have a box full of it.
    I try to limit my cutters to a 3" length. I have a couple of longer endmills that stick out beyond the bristles but only use them if I have to. When I bought my Kent shoe with 3" brush I also bought the 1/2" spacer and the 2" brush. I use the spacer often, I've used the 2" brush only once or twice.

Food for thought, I know of one guy that ran a small air line through his shoe with the nozzle pointed at the bit. He claimed that with low air pressure he was able to cut completely clean slots and the DC sucked up nearly100% with the cloud it created in the shoe.

Andy Rooney

I have seen air nozzle mod and talked with a few large shops that have tried the AirPro . As it seems, most go back to chips everywhere before long. Thats why I said its not an issue of the Kent not being good (have had several other issues with the Kent but as a static shoe its fine).

With an ATC its tough with regards to bit length. You may have drills that are longer, mills that are nice and short, and so on. You'd almost need to be standing there changing the shoe brush for each bit which defeats the convenience of running a 6 tool toolpath and leaving and doing something else lol.

I am always using different tool lengths, so for now I pretty much follow with the vacuum. The Kent is a so so attempt, but I think one could come up with a more efficient design if so inclined. Eventually I plan to build add something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF6y7vCmZRE or the version by multicam (https://multicamcanada.wordpress.com...ust-collector/). Adding the macro and the code to the cut files to lift the DC for the tool change is pretty easy. I am convinced that is about the only way for effective DC if you are using your machine for multiple material thicknesses and do not want a monster of a DC.

I too found very mixed reviews of the Airpro, plus it is costly. The Airpro seems best if you are working with melamine and using the same material thickness most of the time. It seems to take very little difference in thickness to reduce its efficiency greatly.

I added an air blast when I mounted my mister. I am still testing the idea.

Great thread David. I have been following to get an idea of what might be in store for me if I swap out my steppers. Mechanical repairs are fine for me, but I hate electrical things with a passion. I dread the idea of some of the work you have taken on. Good job.

The Airpro is basically a well balanced $900 fan. I've toyed with running an air line but as a hobbyist it's not that big a deal to pick up the vac hose and clean up the leftover mess.

Andy Rooney

I agree about the Airpro Bruce. I am also a hobbiest (admittedly a bit nuts in some respects), but I didn't believe all of the suggestions about space around the machine when I picked out my table size. My machine is partially wedged into a corner, and getting to all sides is a nuisance. I cut out a plastic plenum for my vacuum table recently. What a colossal mess to clean up.

I agree about the AirPro mainly because its omni-directional (if thats the appropriate term). Any kind of random turbulence in the cutting area is just like batting at bats. I always wondered if the ultimate solution wouldnt be a blowgun on the x +/- depending on climb or conventional. I have enough air flow (DC) that if an air jet could stop the cutter discharge it would get picked up. That said, you'd need a nozzle on X+ and X- that fired dependant on cut direction.

My long thought is a dyamic dust shoe. Would seem much easier. As Brad said, even at a hobby level, the mess is a major nuisance when youve invested in more than adequate DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I plan to build add something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF6y7vCmZRE
    Been my thoughts exactly

There's a gentleman named Paul Krause paulkrausellc.com who was working on an interesting shoe design. I don't know where he's at with it now.
    The inside of it is contoured much like the yellow badge on the side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Andy Rooney