Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The need for a second overhead door?

The need for a second overhead door?

Hi,
    I'm getting ready to install doors and windows in a 28 x 36 shop, and have been thinking I don't really need a second OH door (10x8), but would much rather frame in for a large window for the addional light. Anyone have any thoughts or regrets either way? It's the leftmost (center)OH door that I'm thinking of replacing. Thanks for any insight or personal experience.

Doors.jpg

I'd frame the window opening within the existing door opening. Then, if you change your mind, all you'll have to do is cut back to the door opening and install the door. All you'll be out is the price of a window, framing materials, and siding.

Having the option of a door should help with resale.

Blog Entries
    I know that a lot of people like a lot of doors and windows, but everywhere you have a door or window is less wall space for cabinets, storage, benches, etc.
    I would rather have the wall space.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

That's what I'm thinking. It looks like it will cost a little more for the block course, framing, and window but I like the thought of the additional light and wall/floor space. I guess I had residual "garage" notions when I had it framed.

Thanks for the replies to the rather subjective question.
    Last edited by Charlie MacGregor; 11-21-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Staying there forever? Then do it however you want.
    But if you might move you may want to consider re-sale options as most buyers would rather have the two doors, I suspect. Of course you could always change it back if you had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I know that a lot of people like a lot of doors and windows, but everywhere you have a door or window is less wall space for cabinets, storage, benches, etc.
    I would rather have the wall space.....
    +1 on this. You can buy light, but wall space is hard to come by.
    If you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The pig loves it!

I built and framed my workshop for 2 doors. I thought about resale and about symmetry from the outside.

This weekend I removed the overhead metal track on one of the doors, so now only 1 door is operable. The fixed door can be sealed much better. The track will be saved and can easily be reinstalled by the next owners when I die.

I'm glad I did it because now I have a nice wood storage wall to use.

Bob

Smart IMHO.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

How about doors with a row of windows on the top panel for both doors. You can always build a wall inside the door on the left for storage. There and done should you move or want to reconfigure to use for a garage later.

Good Thoughts...Thanks

I'm with the posters who said leave the opening as is, snap some photos, then frame out the inside and insulate and install windows. Be sure to do any electrical in that wall in such a way you can easily disconnect it without major surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I'm with the posters who said leave the opening as is, snap some photos, then frame out the inside and insulate and install windows. Be sure to do any electrical in that wall in such a way you can easily disconnect it without major surgery.

+2, this is a very good idea. I don't care for working adjacent to a garage door, because most of them leak air and they are not attractive.

I have several windows inside my shop and I'm glad that I do (as opposed to my previous shop that had none). It's especially nice on a weekend day when you can look outside while you work.

I think I would install an insulated roll up door with windows in it and put free standing shelves etc. in front of the door so it is used by you as wall space and, if in the future ,the door is ever to be used just move the shelving.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    I built and framed my workshop for 2 doors. I thought about resale and about symmetry from the outside.

This weekend I removed the overhead metal track on one of the doors, so now only 1 door is operable. The fixed door can be sealed much better. The track will be saved and can easily be reinstalled by the next owners when I die.

I'm glad I did it because now I have a nice wood storage wall to use.

Bob
    Seems like the best approach. That way the doors would match if you ever did sell or something. If you only put one in now maybe 20 years down the road you or someone else couldn't match it.

Personally, I question the need for even 1 overhead door unless it's still being used for a garage. I took my 2 car garage, knocked out both doors, tore down all the drywall, filled the holes left by the doors, added a double out swing door, insulated and reinstalled drywall. I added a window and an air conditioner while I was at it (and heat, too). I now have a nice, tight workshop that doesn't at all feel like a garage. Since all the headers for the doors are still there, I could easily and at minimal expense cut through the drywall, knock down the walls, install some tracks and have garage doors again if I ever sold the place and really needed a garage there. I'd just hire a crew to come out and do it. I figure I'll worry about it when I sell the place. For the few thousand bucks it's going to cost me to pay someone to do it, I have a fully functional, tight, workshop year round for however many years I live here. I've now had the shop for almost 3 years. That's small potatoes amortized over 3 years, and practically nothing if I'm here 5 or 10 years.

I'm very much a fan of buying a house to live in and trading resale value against quality of life, as opposed to thinking of it as an investment. Gold's doing well these days. I don't recommend gilding your shop in gold.