Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Show us your Bench

downsize.jpg

I feel bad now. I see the benches you fellas have build. They are some nice benches. I was going to build my own for several years however I never got around to it. So I just bought this one a few months back. My old one was about 15 years old and I bought it from Lowe's for $89.00.
    Every time I tried to hand plane on it, it would move or tip over. I hope you will forgive me for not making my bench.

You currently have me beat. My bench is still in just material leaning against the wall and on my lumber rack. I use a Workmate, a cutting table made from 2x4s and banquet table legs and my table saw bench to limp by until i get off my rump and get mine built. Yours looks like a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Cruea View Post
    downsize.jpg

I feel bad now. I see the benches you fellas have build. They are some nice benches. I was going to build my own for several years however I never got around to it. So I just bought this one a few months back. My old one was about 15 years old and I bought it from Lowe's for $89.00.
    Every time I tried to hand plane on it, it would move or tip over. I hope you will forgive me for not making my bench.
    A bench is a tool, just like any other tool - making your own is cool - but having one that you can use is cooler. Nice bench!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Thomas Runyan View Post
    How are you liking the Veritas sliding tail vise?
    It's a very nice piece of equipment - in the usual Veritas way. Installation instructions were well written. One word of warning: when they say there is no room for error in the positioning of the mounting plate, they mean it! I obsessed for quite a while to make sure it was perfect, but like me, it wasn't quite. So the small gap between the bench and the chuck is ever so slightly tapered (I mean <1/16" over its length), so to my eye, it doesn't look absolutely perfect. Not that this would be a problem in its function, just when you're striving for perfect, that's what you want! The quick release lever is smooth and positive. So far so good.

By the way, what's unique about this bench:
    The joints are integrated into the laminations so the inside through tenons are actually dovetailed top-to-bottom.
    Likewise the joints between the stretchers and the legs are internally dovetailed. See my post under projects to get progress shots.

Regards
    Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Millen View Post
    Bit of an update. The Karri leg vise is complete. The lower wheel is recessed into the chop. Remaining task now is to finish the rest of the bench after drilling a few more dog holes and replacing the temporary block in the wagon vise.
    Greg, your bench is insane. That is a peice of heirloom quality furniture. It looks hard as a rock and must weigh 1,000lbs. Just crazy beautiful. I seriously would be nervous everyday about dinging it up. Great job to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Millen View Post
    Bit of an update. The Karri leg vise is complete. The lower wheel is recessed into the chop. Remaining task now is to finish the rest of the bench after drilling a few more dog holes and replacing the temporary block in the wagon vise.
    Hi Greg

That looks stunning! It's going to be fantastic to use. Just two questions: how will you get it onto your ute for the next club meeting? And I hope the white ants don't see that chop!

(For our US cousins, a "ute" is a pick-up truck, and "white ants" are termits - and they love Karri, as hard as it is. The local beasties come with HSS teeth).

I may be over for pointers when I get to building my Roubo (just a couple of projectsto first get out of the way).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Greg

That looks stunning! It's going to be fantastic to use. Just two questions: how will you get it onto your ute for the next club meeting? And I hope the white ants don't see that chop!

(For our US cousins, a "ute" is a pick-up truck, and "white ants" are termits - and they love Karri, as hard as it is. The local beasties come with HSS teeth).

I may be over for pointers when I get to building my Roubo (just a couple of projectsto first get out of the way).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, I haven't fitted the tow bar and wheels yet as I am still turning the axles... If you are over this way you are more than welcome to view the bench, warts and all!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea;
    Greg, your bench is insane. That is a peice of heirloom quality furniture. It looks hard as a rock and must weigh 1,000lbs. Just crazy beautiful. I seriously would be nervous everyday about dinging it up. Great job to say the least.
    Jarrah is very hard, about 1910 on the Janka scale which is harder than Purpleheart or Hornbeam and less than Karri (which the chop is made from) and both Jarrah and Karri are less hard than Ipe (3680).

It actually weighs about 1200lbs. I'll keep it pretty until it is finished, then it reverts to a workbench. At the moment it is a learning experience so I am taking my time (3 years worth of spare hours) and learning as I go.

Finally finished, here she is...Workbench, Finished 001.jpg

Nice looking bench brendan

Looks great, Greg!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

downsize.jpg

I'd love to have a bench like that and I'd love to not build it, either. I'd rather spend the time it takes to build a bench scratch building an infill plane instead.

downsize.jpg

Dale, looks nice - is that an Elite 2500? How do you like it so far? that's the one with the thick top.

Thread revived!

Here she is: all function, no form. I built this as my bench-on-which-to-build-a-proper-bench. My proper bench has never been made as this one works quite well. Wife isn't terribly happy it's inside the house, but considering it produces other nice things, it gets to stay.

I made the whole thing in one weekend. 24" wide and 7' long. The top is 6 layers of 3/4" MDF, glued. 3 sheets split in half. The legs are 3 layers of SYP 2x8 glued and nailed. The side stretchers are 2x6's, glued and nailed. The long stretchers are two 2x4's glued into the leg layers to form a tenon. A Veritas twin-screw and wonder-dog round out the work-holding. I keep meaning to fit in a good wagon vise.There's a lot of nails and a crap-ton of glue, but it's functional. For reference, a crap-ton is approximately equal to one gallon.

IMAG0197.jpg

One weekend, that's impressive!
    The Plane Anarchist

I don't much care for furniture making,but I love to make work benches!!!