Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf: I don't get the rules of the game!!!!!!!!

Well said, well played.

Lots of hating on golfers but why? They do their thing/sport and others do what they like doing. The game rules are straight up least strokes wins and yes with a few other modifications (mulliagans, rough lay, etc.). I'm an older type that was able to work as a a caddy at the local Caddyshack type club (exclusive and rich$) as a teenager. Man lugging those expensive bags and clubs around on a hot day, spotting at the dog legs and ducking the shankers and slicers while keeping track of each players ball for them was something else. Still I learned an appreciation from the good players of the game while I didn't care to play myself. Lots of business was done, large sums of money I expect were made or missed on the links and still today. But I also caddied for players who enjoyed a sunny quiet day, enjoying their sport, companionship with no orange pants. So I give them their due.

About not needing athletic ability.. later I worked at club where I got the play for fun when the club pro's went out and watching a good player torque a 300+ yd drive over some 60 ft trees on a dog leg onto the green in one is way beyond just some skill and attention. I got to be a passable player hitting par on PGA class holes (on the course they filmed part of Tin Cup on) but never took up the game seriously. Just that I got to know some nice folks that had that passion for it and I don't think it's fair to criticize without knowing more about the game. There are scratch players and duffers. Woodworking has the same range of "players". Golf takes a lot of shots from folks I think because it's seen more like for the Caddyshack types, the rich exclusive snobby folks. But check out the local county courses and there a bunch of folks whacking away with they're limited clubs and bags too.

Carl Spackler: This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion." Bill Murray from Caddyshack.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I absolutely can't stand golf- or any ball sport for that matter. I stopped playing games when I left elementary school. I think paying someone $millions to play schoolyard games is a travesty, but I realize I am not the majority.
    I am with you Malcolm. Never played much of any sport since PE in high school. Never watch any sports on TV and some years am completely unaware that there is a super bowl or a world series going on. I've got much better things to do with my time.

It does make it a bit awkward when my 9 year old son wants to play flag football because a few of his friends play. I realize that he has never watched a single game and probably doesn't know any of the rules.

Steve

Out on the road today I saw a Dead Head sticker on a cadillac.

It said, "Woodworking is for people who can't golf."

Those days are gone forever. I should just let 'em go, but....

There was a couple in my area that retired and bought a house in Nevada on a golf course so the husband could play golf EVERY day. I often wonder what they're going to say about him at his funeral - maybe "He had a good handicap". What a legacy to leave! There are so many more productive things that a person can do rather than waste their time playing golf every day.

I include as productive making furniture for your family - furniture that will pass down to your descendants and be used daily for hundreds of years. But also, helping to build houses with Habitat for Humanity - houses that will provide shelter for less fortunate people for many, many years. That's a lot better legacy to leave than "I played golf EVERY day".

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    There was a couple in my area that retired and bought a house in Nevada on a golf course so the husband could play golf EVERY day. I often wonder what they're going to say about him at his funeral - maybe "He had a good handicap". What a legacy to leave! There are so many more productive things that a person can do rather than waste their time playing golf every day.

I include as productive making furniture for your family - furniture that will pass down to your descendants and be used daily for hundreds of years. But also, helping to build houses with Habitat for Humanity - houses that will provide shelter for less fortunate people for many, many years. That's a lot better legacy to leave than "I played golf EVERY day".

Mike
    That's their choice. Just like your choice is to make furniture for your family. It's all relative. A lot of people work really hard their entire life and many do great things for a lot of people. That person playing golf every day might be making million dollar deals on the course to send mosquito nets to people in Africa. You don't know. They might do more to help people in one hour that you or I could do in a lifetime.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Let me say that I am not a golfer. But I do enjoy occupying my time with totally unproductive activities. Now, there are lots of options when it comes to unproductive activities. The ones that do come to mind for me are watching movies and sports on TV. I watched my beloved Rangers beat the Dodgers AGAIN last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I stayed up too late and had a hard time dragging myself out of bed this morning. I could have been down in the shop working on a piece of furniture I am building for a family friend. I would have gone to bed much earlier and had that satisfying feeling that I had done something productive. But I do not regret it for a second. Everyone needs to do the things that make them happy in their lives. Otherwise, we would lead rather dull and unhappy lives. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" is really true. I suppose for others only doing productive activities is the only thing that make them happy, and I say good for them, but they shouldn't judge others enjoying useless activities.
    Oh yeah, another unproductive activity I enjoy is hanging out in the off topic forum at SMC when I should be doing my job!
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-18-2015 at 2:15 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm not a golfer but I respect the rights of the 50 million people world wide that play.
    I have never understood why mocking someone's sport, hobby, purchases, etc. is such fun. I remember when I bought my first expensive superbike off the showroom floor. Some thought I was nuts, a complete waste of money. It's my money, my time, cripes! As long as I didn't rob a bank who are you to judge! Most of us have many thousands of dollars of equipment sitting in our garage's/shops. Is it a wise investment? In most cases it's not but it's what we enjoy doing.

JMHO
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    That's their choice. Just like your choice is to make furniture for your family. It's all relative. A lot of people work really hard their entire life and many do great things for a lot of people. That person playing golf every day might be making million dollar deals on the course to send mosquito nets to people in Africa. You don't know. They might do more to help people in one hour that you or I could do in a lifetime.
    I know that person. I can absolutely assure you he was not "making million dollar deals on the course to send mosquito nets to people in Africa". He was playing golf with his buddies and drinking.

Nor did he "make million dollar deals to send mosquito nets to people in Africa" during his career.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That's fine, so now we get to pick and choose who gets to do what in their retirement? Doesn't sound like a place I want to live.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

As a very (veryvery) occasional golfer with a slice so bad that I have to duck, I say a big ol' phooey to those who insist it isn't a sport. What have the other sports got? Neanderthals hit stuff with clubs and look where they are today. Purse snatchers can run like the dickens...the good ones, anyway. Hockey reminds me of my uncles fighting over the last biscuit on Sunday morning. And hey, the Easter Bunny stuffs baskets, too.

I can't hit a fast ball to save my life but hitting a good drive off the tee isn't exactly a natural act, either. It takes more than a fair degree of hand-eye-body coordination. Being off just a little can mean the difference between the green and the bunker. A little more and you're in the woods. More than that and you're...well...me.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I'm surprised no one has brought up the case of free throws in basketball. Here is a situation where the only possible variation from shot-to-shot is the noise & visual conditions in which it is taken (i.e, the distance of the shot, the height of the rim, the weather conditions, etc. are the same for every shot). Yet, it is common for the home crowd to be deadly quiet when it is their turn and yet scream like maniacs when it is their opponent's turn. Maybe the noise does matter when you're trying to concentrate when the game situation doesn't require instinctive/reactionary movement.

Every golf shot is like a free throw except no two conditions are the same. Weather, terrain, course conditions and course design all have an effect on the shot you're about to play. The other important aspect is that golf is based on providing the same opportunity for success for everyone. I don't think quiet is necessary but, with all the other variables involved, it is important to keep it constant at some level and it is much easier to do that than have a constant din.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I don't understand golf, either. It takes all day, it's expensive, and it's meaningless. Even if I were to become a better golfer, what purpose would it serve?

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    You understand the game perfectly.
    I've played golf for 51 of my 64 years - a lot longer than I've done woodworking. Here's a few reasons why I don't think it's meaningless:

It is an activity you can do by yourself or as a group. It provides a moderate level of exercise (particularly if you walk - 18 holes will give you over 4 miles of exercise). It provides a mental challenge due to the constantly changing conditions. It provides a great opportunity for social interaction between people of various backgrounds. I have started (and maintained) many friendships over the years by being randomly placed in foursomes.

The handicap system allows people to have fair and friendly competition with each other regardless of their respective abilities. Name another physical activity that a 40 year old father can do with his fledgling 13 year-old child and then later continue to do so when the father is in his 60's and has lost some of his physical ability (and spend 4 to 5 hours together doing so). Yes, I've built furniture with both of my children - I consider the time spent together doing the same enjoyable thing to be priceless regardless of the activity.

Finally, if it wasn't for golf, I would not have met my beautiful bride of 37 years...

Mike, there is no way I can compare golf to the selflessness of Habitat (as you mentioned in your later post). I do not see the need, however, to belittle
    the joy that some people get in participating in something that they love.

Lastly, I'll share my favorite picture of my son and eldest grandson. I just hope that when my grandson becomes old enough that I'll be able to go a friendly 9-holes with him.
    IMG_0056.JPG
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Wow - some responses here - haters gotta hate is great description.

My father has been an avid - er - religious golfer for 30 years. It's a passion for him as woodworking is my passion. I understand the beauty and subtleties of the game and its rules of etiquette through his eyes. It's every bit as poignant and beautiful as my appreciation for a piece of wood, elegant design, or good craftsmanship.

The rules that seem to you pointless are a signal of respect. How a person comports himself on the course, amidst frustration and the temptation to cheat says volumes about him. How he waits for your shot, or helps you look for your ball, or monopolizes conversation. It's a great revealer of character.

I realize the majority here may view this as a lot of horse pucky, and you're welcome to your opinion, but if you talk with a person who 'gets' the game, you may find there's more to this book than its green cover.

To put this into perspective: today I was listening to Monday's Woodtalk podcast. A caller waxed poetic about finding a piece of spalted maple on the underside of a pallet. The hosts and I (as I bet most people here) thought, "good on you! great find." The average golfer (except my Dad, god Bless him!!) would think it odd that we relish a partially rotten board found in the garbage.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-18-2015 at 3:03 PM.

All of us are different and have different interests and priorities. How dull this world would be if we all had the same interests and passions. To put a point on it: Different strokes for different folks.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH