Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tour of the shop

Tour of the shop

Hello all!
    Thought I’d put together a little tour of the shop. The old guys have seen it all a million times before but I thought some of you newer types might enjoy giving it a look. I’ll bust it up into 3 separate posts.

We’ll start with the outside… The shop is 30x40 with 10’ ceilings.

Cyclone is right inside the door. Bill Pentz design that I built. All 6” PVC ductwork with blastgates that I built along with a bunch of hood upgrades and such for the tools. The Delta scroll saw is right next to the cyclone.

West wall has wall bench. Perfomax 16-32, Jet lathe, clamp storage etc..

Around the corner on the south wall is the Hitachi 10” SCMS, Ridgid spindle sander and shop vac., Delta mortiser is stored under the SCMS. Storage on the wall here also.

In front of the miter saw station in the Griz G0500 8” jointer. It’s on the back of the router/planer station.

More to come....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tour of the shop part 2

Continuing on the south wall..

Here’s the front of the router/planer station. I use the big Hitachi router in the table and the Ridgid 13” planer. Ton’s of storage in this bench also.

Griz G0512 edge sander and the wood stove are farther down the south wall.

ESouth end of the east wall is storage for gardening stuff, wood etc…

North end of the east wall has my desk and Snap-ON tool boxes, bench grinder, fridge, blasting cabinet etc…

Moving to the north wall…my Griz drill press and plywood storage between the overhead doors.

More to come in part 3...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tour of the shop part 3

Continuing on the north wall......

Between the overhead door and the entry door is the Griz G0513 bandsaw.

Now out to the middle of the shop. I built this bench a few years ago. It’s white oak and weighs a ton. The top is 3 layers of ¾” mdf with white oak banding and white oak ply for the top. Lots and lots of storage for my hand tools, drills, hardware etc…

Back of the bench is all doors.

All that is left is the Griz G1023S table saw with Exaktor sliding table.

I built the overam guard from Wood mag plans. It has a custom made lexan hood.

Here's a couple of overview shots...

Well that’s pretty much it. There are several more detail photos on my webstite in the “Woodworking” section if anyone is interested. Thanks so much for looking!!
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 03-12-2010 at 8:34 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice shop!

Terry;

Nice shop. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice. Looks like a great place to work. Nice and bright, and enough room without being too spread out.

Three threads merged into one, Terry, for the tour. Just reply to your own thread to add more.

BTW, I'm glad to see you back posting...and the shop looks just as great as it did when I had "the tour" in person a few years ago.

Jim
    SMC Moderator

This is a happy looking shop. Nice and bright, with plenty of room...doesn't get much better than that.

*yawn*...shop looks the same as it did when I was last there, oh, 5 years ago!!

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Three threads merged into one, Terry, for the tour. Just reply to your own thread to add more.

BTW, I'm glad to see you back posting...and the shop looks just as great as it did when I had "the tour" in person a few years ago.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    Thanks Jim. Wasn't sure if I should have it all in one or not.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    *yawn*...shop looks the same as it did when I was last there, oh, 5 years ago!!

I've bought tools since then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great shop. I love the layout and the way you've got it organized. Lots of convenient storage too.

I only wished i could find me a building like that real cheap and real close to home.... errrr well maybe far fro home...

Nice shop and I do like looking at shops in the way showed it because then I get different ideas on how to place stuff in mine.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Awesome shop you have and it looks like you are quite comfortable working with all that open space. I would also like to find a building like that but at the same time I think I'd feel much more comfortable working at home workshop instead of a place I would have to drive to. Anyhow, nice setup, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Woloshyn View Post
    Awesome shop you have and it looks like you are quite comfortable working with all that open space. I would also like to find a building like that but at the same time I think I'd feel much more comfortable working at home workshop instead of a place I would have to drive to. Anyhow, nice setup, thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Greg! This is my home shop and wwing is just a hobby for me. We built the shop when we first bought the house 16 years ago. Really nice that the noise and mess is seperated from the main house. The shop is about 100 ft. behind the house.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

non-standard

i have a complaint - the hoop out front (1st pic left side) looks too low. is that what you boys in AR do to make sure you can throw-down?

(good to "see" you again, buddy - shop still looks great. )

-b