Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser Tube 3 part question

Dan Hintz Im not sure they make pure ethylene glycol ( anti freeze ) any more Due to the fact of poisoning animals with it as some people use to do. But i will check to see where i can find pure anti frees aka ethylene glycol. Ill check with my auto parts stores. Any idea who sells pure ethylene glycol by chance

Dan disregard the last post i found a company that sells just pure ethylene glycol the company name is Dynalene there web site is http://www.dynalene.com/Ethylene-Gly...-EG-s/1847.htm

The smallest amount is 2 quarts ( 1/2 gallon )that cost with shipping 20.00 dollars Thanks i will try putting the pure ethylene glycol into the water in the chiller and mixing it together so not to frees the water in the laser tube its self thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post
    Dan disregard the last post i found a company that sells just pure ethylene glycol the company name is Dynalene there web site is http://www.dynalene.com/Ethylene-Gly...-EG-s/1847.htm

The smallest amount is 2 quarts ( 1/2 gallon )that cost with shipping 20.00 dollars Thanks i will try putting the pure ethylene glycol into the water in the chiller and mixing it together so not to frees the water in the laser tube its self thanks for the tip
    I might have a 25% or less in mine, took a sample outside today 5 degrees F, and it slushed up after about two hours, Maybe longer it would have frozen solid? I doubt it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Ray:

Would you advise against a cup or two of colorless propylene glycol too? It is my understanding it's essentially what RV antifreeze is made of.

Do you have a recommendation to help keep the water clean?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8673t11/=vdlsyk
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 01-08-2015 at 3:55 PM.

I'm Not Ray but I had RV anti freeze in mine and it molded or had algae growing in it. I did a lot of research online and on the Chinese laser manufacturers website before adding a mild solution of Automotive global anti freeze to mine and Rays post was the first ever against it. Its a light green/yellow in the jug, and the mixture has a very pale green/yellow tint.

I have no choice, my pilot light goes off, power failure and its frozen. So far in the nearly 5 months its been used I have no power loss.
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-09-2015 at 9:20 AM.

Matt,

i have been been recommending one teaspoon of "Roundup" vegetation killer for every two gallons of coolant fluid. This will not help with the freezing issues, but works great against the molds. .. Be careful about re-using the teaspoon.
    Ray Scott
    Owner/Engineer at Rabbit Laser USA

Advice... Never use your tongue as a multimeter.

I have strongly considered modifying a standard chiller. (Cw3000 or cw5000). The modification would be to remove the standard cooling controller and replace it with a controller of same size that can do the heating and cooling. In addition the the controller, we would need to install a low wattage heater element... I would also recommend to use a water level sensor that can interrupt the heating and signal an alarm. I suppose it would be good protocol to use the temperature sensor inside the tank or very close to the heater element.

i am sure all the parts can be gotten from eBay for less than $45.

This is still doesn't solve a problem of loosing power.
    Ray Scott
    Owner/Engineer at Rabbit Laser USA

Advice... Never use your tongue as a multimeter.

The sensor should be located on or near the glass bulb or sensing ambient air temperature. And ideally either the pump needs to be running 24/7 or started with the freezestat (with relay) along with the heater. Would not solve the power failure issue however and we have both ice storms and blizzards. From a guy who used to design control systems.

I handled the potential freezing problem by placing a small space heater inside my laser, behind the table - which is directly under the tube. It is set to about 45 or 50 degrees. It's a lot cheaper to heat just the laser than the entire shop.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I just purchased a Boss Laser LS-2436 with a 60 watt and the tech put in the antifreeze for me with distilled water. I wouldn't think if it were harmful, they would do it. I have mine in a garage without heat 50% of the time. I heat it up when I am going to work in there so will let you know if I have any problems as it is 24 degrees this morning with no heat in there. I am new here to posting but have been reading a lot so this forum is much appreciated.

Annette
    Boss Laser LS-2436 - 60 watt * Roland TrueVis VG-540 * Graphtec CE-5000 * CorelDraw 2017 * Adobe CC * Lots of PC's * 16' x 30' Woodworking Shop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annette Thomas View Post
    I just purchased a Boss Laser LS-2436 with a 60 watt and the tech put in the antifreeze for me with distilled water. I wouldn't think if it were harmful, they would do it.
    I won't comment on the wiseness of using antifreeze... you read the thread(s), you can make up your own mind.

But I will warn you... do not be lulled into a false sense of security when it comes to techs. Most couldn't blow their nose without a procedure manual, and heaven forbid the problem be slightly different than the manual suggests. There are a handful of good techs out there who actually understand the issues and can solve them... but they're few and far between.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Annette Thomas every body at Boss Laser are wonderful people very very helpful. What i do when i am finished and ready to put things up i take the inlet hose off the machine and put the air hose from the air compressor into the inlet outlet and blow the water out back into the chiller as this helps also i got a very little i say about half a quart in the chiller with water. I am being extra safe as i do not want to buy a 60 watt tube that cost 659 bucks

Annette Thomas where are you at as i am in north carolina and it is also 23 degrees bbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tennessee...
    Boss Laser LS-2436 - 60 watt * Roland TrueVis VG-540 * Graphtec CE-5000 * CorelDraw 2017 * Adobe CC * Lots of PC's * 16' x 30' Woodworking Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I won't comment on the wiseness of using antifreeze... you read the thread(s), you can make up your own mind.

But I will warn you... do not be lulled into a false sense of security when it comes to techs. Most couldn't blow their nose without a procedure manual, and heaven forbid the problem be slightly different than the manual suggests. There are a handful of good techs out there who actually understand the issues and can solve them... but they're few and far between.
    top advice

A lot of *experts* only know 5% more than the people they talk to.
    You did what !