Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Screws or Domino's for Face Frames

Pocket Screws or Domino's for Face Frames

I'm working on some cabinets for my office (see this thread) and have gotten to the face frame stage. I was wondering if people liked to use pocket screws or dominos both for putting the frame together, and for attaching it to the cases. I've used pocket screws in the past, but had some issues with splitting and the faces not being perfectly even. Using domino's seems a bit trickery, but they would be hidden and should be easier to align.

I have both tools, and would use pocket screws, as screws are faster and you do not have to wait for the glue to dry to move on to the next stage.

There are some who use both. The domino works to make sure the alignment is perfect and the pocket screws add to the strength and clamp the pieces together for the glue to set up. I would personally opt for that method and avoid all the necessary clamping of using only domino's and the delay. Domino's have a purpose, as do pocket screws. i use pocket screws anytime the joint is hidden so I can keep moving on with the project.

For me it depends on the situation.. I use poket screws most of the time for speed and ease.. Recently I have made several frames with the Kreg Bead detail, I have to use the domino because the tips of the screw sometimes show in the groove of the bead. For any fine work I go Domino, once you get used to it they go almost as fast as pocket screws and alignment is much better.

For faceframes, pocket screws are the fastest - when used correctly. You need a good face clamp and the proper screws. If you have both, then the joint will align 'perfectly' (requiring only minor if any sanding).

For attaching the faceframe to the carcass, domino is good for the end cases if the end will remain visible. They also help with alignment. However, if yr faceframes are designed with a reveal, and some slop is permissible, then biscuits might even be a better choice than the ultra-precise domino.

Oh yeah, with pocket screws, glue is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    For faceframes, pocket screws are the fastest - when used correctly. You need a good face clamp and the proper screws. If you have both, then the joint will align 'perfectly' (requiring only minor if any sanding).

For attaching the faceframe to the carcass, domino is good for the end cases if the end will remain visible. They also help with alignment. However, if yr faceframes are designed with a reveal, and some slop is permissible, then biscuits might even be a better choice than the ultra-precise domino.

Oh yeah, with pocket screws, glue is optional.
    i've never used glue with pocket screws

I don't have a Domino but I can't believe anything could be faster then pocket hole screws. There is no waiting for glue to dry. Fo attaching them to the carcas I use the hated biscuit jointer.

I never do either. I've read that some people like to do it. However for most apps, it's edge to end grain, so what good's glue gonna do anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I never do either. I've read that some people like to do it. However for most apps, it's edge to end grain, so what good's glue gonna do anyway?
    Not to hijack this thread and turn it into another debate about strength of the joints but you'd be surprised by how much strength a simple butt joint will have.
    I always use glue, especially for attaching perpendicular face-frame pieces as I don't think a single screw has much holding power there.

Perhaps in a normal application, but on a faceframe, will that joint get a lot of stress? especially when each component is then screwed/nailed/glued to the carcass? I'm not asking that rhetorically; if you do it differently, I'm not above altering my method.

Oh yeah, glue in this application just means I have to sand a little more if I get some squeezeout.

Have to get in on this discussion . All of my face frames are assembled with pocket screws BUT attached to the cabinetry with biscuits.

Pocket screws in my experience are great to hold pieces together end grain to long grain and other jointery. They are the perfect tool for building face frames, understanding that unless properly and TIGHTLY clamped as you drive the screws you can be assured that many of the joints will slip out of alignment .

As for attaching the assembled face frames to the cabinets I have both a Festool Domino and a Lamello Biscuit Jointer. When I first started using the Domino I figured that the biscuits were now obsolete. WRONG! Biscuits are still (in my not so humble opinion) the best tool for attaching the face frame. Dominos are way too exacting. There alignment is too perfect and causes worlds of grief when trying to clamp down a face frame. The biscuits on the other hand allow for a slight variation in the thickness of the plywood and they allow you some up and down and in and out play that is very forgiving when you are gluing your ff to the cabinet. Leave your cabinet backs off. Lay your cabs down face up on some T shaped plywood risers that allow the clamps to clear the floor. Make your biscuit slots in the perimeter and drawer stretchers of the cabs and face frames, add the glue, add the biscuits, tap the frame on and clamp. Finally take a damp rag and reach in to clean the glue squeeze out. By the time your next cabinet is ready for biscuits and glue you can take the clamps off the first set up and go again.

That's how I do it

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I recently built a bunch of ff's for our kitchen cabinets. I have a Domino and Kreg and thought about the same thing and ended up using pocket screws. In the past I sometimes had problems with faces slightly offsetting but on this job I used the face clamp and also the clamp that has a pin on one side that goes inside one of the pocket holes (this clamp is for right angle clamping but you will find you can put the pin in a pocket hole and the round end on the edge of the other board and it works great). This way you have clamping force in two directions. Worked out great. I did try dominos and pocket screws on a sample and found the pocket screws wanted to go into the domino mortise.

clamp

Mike

I use my domino for applications where a loose tenon is required, I dont feel a face frame is one of them. I prefer the speed of pocket screws for face frames. With a face frame properly attached to a well built cabinet, I just dont see that much stress on a face frame connection. Just my .02
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

When using pocket screws on face frames, have had some trouble with cracks. On some kinds of wood. Found that taking a drill bit and pre drilling avoids the cracking. And also like the biscuits to attach frames to the box. A shim works to handle an overhang of the faceframe to the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    When using pocket screws on face frames, have had some trouble with cracks. On some kinds of wood. Found that taking a drill bit and pre drilling avoids the cracking. And also like the biscuits to attach frames to the box. A shim works to handle an overhang of the faceframe to the box.
    I used the hi-lo screws and had good luck preventing cracking.

Mike