Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Banjo Nirvana........G0766

1. Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    All - I just noticed that this thread is only eight days old, yet already has 3,433 views and counting. I'm guessing that may be an SMC record.
    I think this and other threads related to the G0766 is indicative of the interest in this unit.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-22-2015 at 8:49 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mason View Post
    I have hesitated to comment on this thread and leave it to the people who have or want this lathe but I hate not to point this out. If using a coring system ( McNaughton is the one I have), one might should check and see how long their tool posts are. They might have one plenty long for this redesigned banjo, I don't know. I would hate for someone to run into issues later on if they get in to coring. If one has only an inch or two of the post in the banjo and gets a massive catch with a coring tool, something will give. Just something to think about. It may or may not pertain here.

Just to be clear, my concern is with lowering the height of the banjo.
    The McNaughton comes with a quite long post. It comes from Craft Supply with a 6" post. I have a second post for a
    jet 1642 that is 3". 6" work well on Powermatic. Either will work on a Robust.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Hi guys,
    Can any one tell me what the length and height of the bed is?
    Trying to see if I have the room in my shop for this beast.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
    Hi guys,
    Thanks,
    Rick
    You can find those dimensions on the webpage @Grizzly.com. Go to lathes, then G0766, there is a spec sheet and manual link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
    Hi guys,
    Thanks,
    Rick
    The bed is 66" long. The motor sticks out over the end 11 1/4" when it is all the way to the end. Bed height is 36 3/4". Height to the center line of the spindle is 47 3/4". Total height is 51". Legs front to back 22"
    Sparky Paessler

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    The revised banjo design works perfectly with the tool rest supplied with the machine. The standard tool rest has the same amount of post inside the banjo and will be a straight slip-in. Like someone said, we will not be able to please everyone that has modified or bought other tool rests to go on our lathe. We try our best, but............................

Thanks for all the input.
    I have great concerns with shortening the height of the banjo. While it will work well with the supplied rest the Grizzly rest is not a standard size. Most turners have several different rest of various shapes and sizes for doing specific applications. if the banjo is shortened most of those rest with "standard long posts" will not work or will only have 3/4" or so of the post in the banjo which is an unsafe condition. I would think a much better fix would be to actually raise the height of the banjo an 1" or so that way more aftermarket rests will work in it correctly and safely. You would also have to machine up higher on the shaft of the Grizzly toolrest so that it also fit into the banjo at the correct height. While this would mean extra cost it would make the lathe fit current "standards". I think that would help you sell a lot more lathes if standard accessories would fit it. I have attached a picture of a very common aftermarket rest (Robust 12" with long post) that fits almost all 24" and 20" lathes but if you shorten the banjo it would not fit the 766 safely. As it is now only 1" is in the banjo which I don't think is a safe situation really. If turners only used one toolrest to turn then making it fit your toolrest would be a good fix but most use several different kinds. Just my opinion! I am glad you are fixing the length of the banjo and if you do shorten it then I will drill the toolrest hole out larger and machine an extension and braze in into the hole to give support at a height where I would like it but not all turners have the capability to do that. Thanks for at least listening and for making tools that the common man can afford!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sparky Paessler; 07-23-2015 at 8:20 AM.
    Sparky Paessler

7. I think Sparky has a valid point here.........while lowering the top of the banjo post support will allow for the original rest to be at proper height, it also creates problems for using any other aftermarket rest with the 0766. While there is no doubt an effort to minimize the cost of having to machine two parts instead of one, the best solution is the dimensions on the bottom that has been shown in the drawing, but leave the post support in the banjo at the current height or even a bit higher and then machine the post on the tool rest up a bit........it might not be cheaper for Grizzly, but if they would do that, it would be the best solution for the turners who bought the lathe.

If cost is a real factor here, then perhaps raising the price a little to accommodate the extra machining might be necessary, although there will likely be some who don't want to pay any extra. I would rather see the ideal of leaving the upper post support on the banjo, rather than limit the banjo's capability to use any aftermarket rest, by cutting how tall it is down to fit the current rest. Grizzly would be helping the customer and themselves in the long run if they did this in my humble opinion........although as I said in the earlier post, they are not obligated, but it would be a classy thing to do!

If they raised the banjo so third party rests would still work, could they use the G0632 tool rest (part P0632008)? I know they sent this rest to me as a quick fix replacement (for the "tool rest is too high" issue) and it is noticeably shorter than the stock rest. I don't have my lathe in front of me to measure, but they could probably add an inch on to the banjo and still get the G0632 rest to work.

You guys raise an excellent point about the banjo post support height. It was in the back of my mind when seeing the rendering. You guys will need to live with whatever solution is made so I hope you get a second draft. I don't see a collar on other tool rests so I'm not sure why it's there anyway, limiting as it is.

It would be interesting to find out the measurement from the spindle centerline to the top of the banjo tool rest support post on a Robust, Oneway, Powermatic, etc to see if there is a typical length for the larger (20" and 24") lathes. This is the height I would shoot for if I was Grizzly so that standard accessories would fit. I would then make the supplied tool rest fit that. Anyone want to measure their lathes?
    Sparky Paessler

Frankly if cost is a concern for Grizzly which it probably is then they really should just do the banjo correctly and let the buyer absorb the cost of the tool post. You aren't going to get away with just the one tool post and how many owners of this lathe are going to replace the original cast iron tool post with something from Robust etc. anyway ? The cost of a straight tool post is a lot cheaper than the cost of buying an aftermarket banjo to get this lathe to where it should be. On a lathe this large you do want the option to be able to use a corer safely or other accessories that are out there. That's far more important than a single tool post. The lathe is only a starting point for a turner but it needs to be compatible with what else is available from other companies or it loses it appeal to potential buyers. If I was in the position of being able to upgrade to this lathe and readily would if I could , I would find this an acceptable trade off for a lathe this large at it's current steal of a price.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 07-23-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

This is what I was trying to articulate yesterday. I know my aftermarket tools rest didn't seat very far into the current G0766 banjo. I didn't measure mine when I got home due tot the response be Mr. Balolia about proceeding with the renewed design. While I feel he doesn't have the responsibility to alter the new design to fit aftermarket items...I do think it would be in Grizzly's best interest and interest of current owners. The only limitation of having a slightly taller banjo, is the ability to work with currently shipped tool rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    Frankly if cost is a concern for Grizzly which it probably is then they really should just do the banjo correctly and let the buyer absorb the cost of the tool post. You aren't going to get away with just the one tool post and how many owners of this lathe are going to replace the original cast iron tool post with something from Robust etc. anyway ? The cost of a straight tool post is a lot cheaper than the cost of buying an aftermarket banjo to get this lathe to where it should be. On a lathe this large you do want the option to be able to use a corer safely or other accessories that are out there. That's far more important than a single tool post. The lathe is only a starting point for a turner but it needs to be compatible with what else is available from other companies or it loses it appeal to potential buyers. If I was in the position of being able to upgrade to this lathe and readily would if I could , I would find this an acceptable trade off for a lathe this large at it's current steal of a price.
    I agree Brian I would rather the banjo was corrected to the right length and height. The supplied toolrest I will probably never use anyway as I have better aftermarket ones. I would almost prefer that lathe makers didn't even provide a toolrest with a lathe and then you could buy the particular types you wanted for the type of turning you do. I would really like to see a banjo with a 7" tool post height. That would allow up to 2" above and below the centerline with most toolrests but would keep 1" in the banjo even at the 2" above.
    Last edited by Sparky Paessler; 07-23-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    Sparky Paessler

14. The banjo is being reduced by only half an inch, which then allows the rest to be lower than the center to the height as per the requests by many here. The hole in the current banjo is 3 3/4" deep to the shaft that locks the banjo in place. This is being reduced to approximately 3 1/4".

The design of our standard rest is so that the rest does not depend on just the shaft for support. It uses the tool rest body that rests on the banjo - for maximum strength and stability. Frankly, this is the strongest design.

Thank You Mr. Balolia! This is the solution we all hoped for. The fact that you are doing this shows just how much you and your company truly are customer oriented! And the fact that you will ship All of the people that got their G0766 prior to this "Fix" is a testament to just that.
    Yes some things may have to be modified for some people, however this Is a solution we can all live with and once again,Thank You for your prompt and courteous re-design and efforts to resolve this issue. This will make this a Truly World Class lathe capable of doing exactly as it was intended.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.