Thread: What is this tool

What is this tool

My daughter bought this at an antique mall today. I think it is a home made rabbit plane. Part of the handle is broken off ,or looks like it, and there is no blade. It looks well made and seems to be very old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a plow plane, used for cutting grooves with the grain, for instance a drawer-bottom grooves or the grooves in a frame for the panel to go it.

Very handy tool -- I use mine all the time. They used to come with a set of 8 blades, but now you're lucky if there's one. From the looks of it, it wouldn't be all that hard to restore that one to usable shape -- repair the handle, scare up a few blades, and make a new wedge for it.

edit: I'm not sure about the threads, though -- they look a little rough in the first photo. Is that Teflon tape on them in the second?
    Last edited by Billy Chambless; 08-10-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo control
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Threads

The threads seem to be very dry but don't seem to have any tape on them.
    Some of the threads are only partialy there and I think that whoever had the tool before has stained it and put some poly on it.
    Where could I find a blade that would fit it?

I've seen these used mostly for putting the bottom dado in drawers, it's an easy alignment though most are fixed and not adjustable.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

DL Barrett and Sons, could provide you the blades and the wedge, you might have to send the plane to them so it gets fited properly!