Thread: My first attempt at a bowl

My first attempt at a bowl

Well, most of it anyway. I couldn't find all the pieces.

My dad came over and dropped off a stand he made for my old Shopsmith. It really beats the two rickety crates it was mounted on when I bought it

He also brought a bunch of turning blanks and some other assorted lumber! I just started woodworking and, in my excitement to finally have some decent wood to work with instead of the firewood I've been using, I didn't take the time to change the speed on my lathe. Turning way too fast, plus inexperienced tool handling, plus a catch equals wood shrapnel flying all over the garage

This was my first attempt at anything other than a few small bud vases (un-hollowed, just drilled) and some tops for my kids to play with.

Oh well. I'll try again tomorrow. And I'll be more patient

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Keep at it! Remember: sharp tools, less agressive cut, correct angle of attack (ride the bevel and such) and finally, if you see a hairline crack early on, close it up with CA glue. Larger one? With epoxy. Punky wood? Dont use until you're proficient. Goodluck!

Welcome to the Creek Phillip.

Nothin beats a little a bit of adrenaline.
    Good to see only the bowl took the hit..
    Experience is the best teacher, next one will be better...

I think we all had that happen to us a time or two. I know I got pretty good at exploding bowls. Just keep a close eye on how you put the tool on the wood. Keep practicing, before you know it, you won't even have any catches. You may want to invest in a good video, there are many to choose from. I know it helped me a lot.

Mike

Get right back in the saddle, you'll get there.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Phillip - Welcome to the Creek! Sounds like you have a fairly good idea of what caused the problem, so hopefully you will have better luck with your next one!

You didn't state where you are from - but highly suggest you get with your local turning club as the members love to help new folks get started in turning. It really makes a difference having someone knowledgeable show you how to do something -vs- figuring it out on your own. Plus, a lot of clubs have DVDs you can check out that will assist also!

Good luck with bowl #2! Looking forward to seeing the photos!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    You didn't state where you are from - but highly suggest you get with your local turning club as the members love to help new folks get started in turning. It really makes a difference having someone knowledgeable show you how to do something -vs- figuring it out on your own. Plus, a lot of clubs have DVDs you can check out that will assist also!
    Absolutely. My dad has been a member of the Alabama Woodworkers Guild for years. I remember tagging along to meetings from the time I was maybe 10 - 12 years old. I'll be joining as soon as I have a little extra cash for the membership fee.

He's also available to help me out, I just tend to be unable to wait for lessons.

Any chance your Dad is Arlen?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beed there, done that....Be sure and ware a face shield when you get back in the saddle.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with the talent to destroy innocent wood. Glad you're ok(clean underwear,etc). Looking forward to seeing your next turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Any chance your Dad is Arlen?
    Nope, my dad's name is Mike.

I feel your pain Phillip. My first bowl went well. So, full of confidence I chucked up a second. The dents in the ceilling of my works shop should prove as a long term reminder of what not to do!!!!!!!

Welcome Phillip. Make sure you keep that bowl close by as a reminder. I have one I look at from time to time.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Look on the bright side... didn't seem to hurt the bandsaw any!