Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A crib for the first baby...

A crib for the first baby...

Our first child is due in two months. Here is the crib I built for her that extends to a full size bed. It's out of Cherry with curly maple inlay.
    The joinery is M/T for the spindles and loose tenon for the posts to frame.
    The tops and moldings are using bent lamination.
    Finish is a mix I learned from Don Kondra. It took about a month to complete.

The design is my own but wanted it to be similar to our own bed (the picture of my avatar) that I posted here a while ago.
    Now off to the chest of drawers, hopefully to be finished before the baby arrives

I've some progress pics that can post upon request.

f1.JPGf2.JPG
    f3.JPGf4.JPG

More pics in the next post.

That is stunning! A real work of art.

Congratulations on the soon to be birth of your first child. Everything you knew in life will change once your child is born.

Exceptionally nice!! Very good styling, and the details really make this piece. Makes me want to have another kid just to build a crib!! Not really!!

Outstanding design and build Mreza. That is probably the nicest crib I have ever seen personally... fluted columns no less. It just grabbed me from the start. Excellent!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Encore, Encore

I'd love to see more pictures, especially how you built the laminated top.

Beautiful crib Mreza, and congratulations on the little one.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Beautiful!

A crib from a true craftsman Mo.
    From the fluted columns to the arched back and curved sides Everything is first rate.
    The inlay adds that finishing touch....
    Excellent work again.
    How about some progress pics if you have them..

And an early congrats on your first child.
    Last edited by gary Zimmel; 02-21-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks for the nice comments.
    Here are some progress pics:

Building the forms for the laminations:

prog1.JPG

To get a consistent width on the curved piece:

prog2.JPG

The curved cap in the form:

prog3.jpg

One of the posts turned and here is the setup to create the reeds:

p3.JPG

The posts are two halves made together. To do that I glued to pieces with a paper in between so that I can separate them once I'm done:

p4.JPG

More in the next post...

Here I am making a series of mortises using the mortising jig I made:

p5.JPGp6.JPGp7.jpg

my homemade drum sander works great for those glued up panels:

p8.JPG

Gluing the curved molding:

p9.JPG

Dry fitting:

p10.JPG

final glue-up:

p11.JPG

Looks great! Did you build the side rails for it so they are ready to go when you convert to a full size bed? I've got a 2 year old that was teething on the top rails prior to us removing the front to convert to a toddler bed. We bought an inexpensive bed and it doesn't bother me on ours since we plan on only having one more child, but I highly suggest figuring out how you're going to protect the top rails from little teeth as I'd hate to see your work of art get chewed up.

Hi Mreza,

Your crib is beautiful. Your design and craftsmanship is outstanding. I like the idea that it will convert into a large bed latter on. I enjoyed looking at the construction photo's, do you have any more? Also, what finish did you use?

Great job, Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Brant View Post
    Looks great! Did you build the side rails for it so they are ready to go when you convert to a full size bed? I've got a 2 year old that was teething on the top rails prior to us removing the front to convert to a toddler bed. We bought an inexpensive bed and it doesn't bother me on ours since we plan on only having one more child, but I highly suggest figuring out how you're going to protect the top rails from little teeth as I'd hate to see your work of art get chewed up.
    I have the rails ready but will have to attache a new hardware to use them.
    That will wait until when they are needed.
    As for chewing up: I haven't thought about that and don't know what to do ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Hi Mreza,

Your crib is beautiful. Your design and craftsmanship is outstanding. I like the idea that it will convert into a large bed latter on. I enjoyed looking at the construction photo's, do you have any more? Also, what finish did you use?

Great job, Sam
    Thanks Sam. The finish is Don Kondra's mix which is: 25% pure Tung oil, 25% spar varnish, 50% varnish thinner, plus one full cap of Japan drier per cup of finish (to speed up drying time). Applied 3 coats (4 to the panels).
    I have more progress pics and will post them when I get to my home computer.

Mreza,

Go to Amazon.com and type in Gummi rails. I just built a crib out of walnut for my first born last summer and purchased them. She hasn't started teething yet, but when she does I will slap them on. They just use two sided tape. Looks good!

Joe