Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biscuits and Glue Ups

Biscuits and Glue Ups

How many of you guys and gals regularly use biscuits for your panel glue ups? Not so much as a means of strength but more about alignment. If you don't, what is your preferred method?

Bobby

I have tried them but they never really do what I think they should and hold the boards in place like I want.

I use dowels for both alignment and strength, they just work very well for me. I am using the Jessem doweling jig now and started out with a DowelMax and both are very fast and easy to use.

For biscuits to really aid alignment the biscuit joiner has to be REALLY well setup and technique needs to be perfect. Usually biscuits just guarantee a bit of misalignment. One example I've seen personally, is a fellow who was frustrated using a biscuit joiner for alignment, until he had the opportunity to use a Lamello Top 10. Problem solved.

I have been through a number of boxes in making panels. I find one of the pluses in using biscuits is in alignment to keep boards in place when gluing and during the time the glue is drying. The two jointed board edges with a slick layer of glue can really move around when pressure is applied in clamping. Make a three, four or five board panel glue up and multiply that problem by a lot. And I have had the edges 'creep' several minutes after applying the final clamp pressure if not held in place by biscuits (or dowels).
    And now for something completely different....

Plane to final thickness later

I don't use them for wide flat panel glues ups really, but i do edge glue to make solid fronts for drawers and other things that aren't super wide (meaning wider than my 12" planer). What I've learned is to joint and plane the individual boards to about 1/32" to 1/16" thicker than the final thickness, glue up the assembly, wait a day, then plane the glue up to final thickness. The offset usually isn't too bad before final planing, but I find this method gives me pretty good results.

The alignment is always perfect after a couple passes through the planer or drum sander.

I don't use anything for alignment. If I really have to for some reason I will use cauls to hold the boards in alignment while the clamps are tightened.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I use them on a regular basis when making panels. I agree with the earlier post about having multiple pieces going together, they make a difference.

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I'll second using cauls instead of biscuits.

For small panels with flattened stock I find biscuits some where between a waste of time and an annoyance. I prefer some cauls, a few clamps on the ends of the boards, careful application of the clamps, a little fine sand on the joints to keep them from moving. I start from one end and align things as I go. It usually works out better than with biscuits.

But for BIG tops like counters with stock that is not flattened over its length and width, say material longer than 8" that is going to be glued wider than 18". I find they can help with gross alignment. They help keep things close enough to plane and machine sand to final thickness and have a level surface. Its easier than the other method I have used, beating the half clamped glue up with a big dead blow to "encourage" proper alignment!

If I were really trying to bang out panels with blind ends I'd be more inclined to use a glue joint cutter on the router or shaper to help maintain alignment. Quicker on multiples and more accurate IMO.

10. I find they help with boards that are longer than my work bench, otherwise getting the warp out of the ends with just clamps can sometimes Be more difficult. As far as strength goes it doesn't really matter, the glue in a side grain to side grain glue up is stronger than the wood anyway.

I don't use biscuits for panel glueups. Just edge to edge glue is all that is necessary. When partially clamped, I use a deadblow hammer to ensure surfaces are even. If you can't get nearly perfect alignment, go back to step 1 as you are not using flat and square stock.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe View Post
    I don't use biscuits for panel glueups. Just edge to edge glue is all that is necessary. When partially clamped, I use a deadblow hammer to ensure surfaces are even. If you can't get nearly perfect alignment, go back to step 1 as you are not using flat and square stock.
    I agree edge to edge is good enough if the boards are jointed correctly. dowels and biscuits are somewhat of a disruption to this continous glue line. I joint my edges opposite each other and apply more pressure at the center of the boards. The idea is to create an ever so slight concave in the edge so more pressure will be applied at the ends at clamp up where the wood dispurses its moisture. I hold the two boards together at the center, if I can pivot them here the ends are not tight enough and require another pass throught the jointer to acheive this concave

I like them. I just built a copy of Norm's assembly table and they worked great for holding the two pieces of plywood in aligment where they come together at the corners to form the legs.

If you get in a hurry, you can screw them up without too much effort.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have an old cheap Skill Biscuit joiner. It is not very good for flat alignment
    I do have the biscuit jointer made by Shopsmith and it works very well and get good alignment with my panels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-04-2010 at 12:13 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I use biscuits occassionally but not on panel glue-ups. For those, I just use clamps and cauls to keep everything aligned.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln