Thread: You know you've been turning a bunch when...PIC

You know you've been turning a bunch when...PIC

Well, a local buddy of mine was interested in learning how to turn on the lathe and make round stuff. So I thought it was time to post of pic of the lathe curlies pile that we have created.

One the "business side of the lathe" we stood on top of at least 4" of shavings. Nice and cushy compared to a concrete floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

LOL I hope with all those shavings, he learned something!

Time to get the big shovel out. Dennis is that a big Powermatic---if so how do you like it?? Maybe the 4224 with the 3 hp motor.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Now that is a LOT of shavings! Hope you got some good work to show for it
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

That reminds me of when I took David Ellsworth's three-day course at his studio...after three days, it was, um...a shavin' parlor!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    LOL I hope with all those shavings, he learned something!
    LOL!!!! Carol....remember the post you made about mounting a 10" bowl blank and only ending up with a 5" bowl???!!!! Well, there were a couple of those....but the rest are some several small bowls and a few large bowl....15" and 16" diameter persimmon bowls (now drying of course).
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Any pizza ubder there?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max
    Time to get the big shovel out. Dennis is that a big Powermatic---if so how do you like it?? Maybe the 4224 with the 3 hp motor.
    Gary....it is a PM lathe.....3520A to be exact. I have read several things that the 4224 isn't up to normal expectations and the 3520 has gottne nothing but rave reviews.....and I know why!!!!! It's a WONDERFUL lathe. Maybe not a cool or great as Jim Beckers lathe...(I believe he sold the Oneway and now has a Stubby? Right Jim?).....but it's still a wonderful, smooth, HEAVY lathe. Me and a buddy of mine wrestled it off my trailer by hand....750 pounds in the crate. Once you uncrate the lathe...it doesn't like to move!!!
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Any pizza ubder there?
    Good Morning Mark..!!!

No...no pizza under there...but we did find a complete set of turning tools!!

BTW, we hauled out over 300 gallons worth of shavings and still didn't clear the total area around the lathe!!!! Oh well....maybe I need to turn more and see if a large pizza with everything shows up under the pile!!
    Dennis -

Dennis are you making anything besides shavings? No I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Dennis I had to find out some more info about these PM lathes so I found out who to talk to. I called Oslonik Machinery up and talked to them. I think they are the largest seller of these lathes.They did tell me that they sell more of the 3520A's than the 4224's. I asked them about problems performance and breakdowns---they said the biggest problem they had was the remote switch---with both machines.
    He asked me what I wanted the lathe to do so I told him the story about the 10x10x three foot long that I turned on my Delta. He said that I would be better off with the 4224.
    The good part is he is close enough to me that I can drive over to thier store--about 100 miles away.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Mark S.,

Why yes I am....

Here is proof! All these bowls are drying via the Alcohol Method and the most successful and fast drying method I have ever tried. BOTH sides of the casework are FULL of bowls drying in the rough and now some are even double-stacked!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis -

Dennis, for as little time as I've had on my lathe since replacing the bearings I think I had better buy some of that fluff from you to spread around it for photos.

I sure need a lesson or two on drying wood also. I put a chunk of maple from the 20 year old firewood pile in the lathe a week ago and roughed it out at about 3" OD. Two days later it looked like somebody quarter split it for me, unbelievable. I'm not sure I have another 20 years so I better investigate the "Alcohol Method".

That's a lot of dog bedding but I'm guessing it's not cedar shavings.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Dennis-

Mark S mentioned pizza... the first thing that came to my mind was Jimmy Hoffa!

I've got to get more details on the alcohol drying method... just cut down a pear tree in the backyard and would like to try it out.

Let's see the results of those shavings!! (as soon as they're ready- of course)
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers