Thread: Unisaw Restoration part duex (w/pics)

Unisaw Restoration part duex (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

Here is how my Unisaw restoration sits right now,

I prepped the cabinet for paint,

Once the cabinet came back (Great job Mike!), I found the older cast iron base Unisaw's do not fit on the current Unisaw mobile base, but rather stratled it on all sides, doh! So, I screwed in from underneath some ~1" ash cleats on either side,

And then centered the saw on the cleats stratleing the metal frame all the way around by about 1/2". To keep the saw in place I glued some keeper blocks from the inside with some brads to hold them in place while the glue dried,

Once I had the trunion and the rest of the saw installed inside the cabinet, I installed the Biesemeyer splitter. I clampped everything in place and from the inside tightened both splitter bolts. The splitter is very hard to make out in this photo with the clamps, strait edge and square,

Here is what the saw looks like from the front right now,

And from the side,

Boy the Baldor motor is big! I don't have the switch on it right now, but I wired it up to see what it cuts like and *wow* it this saw smooth and quite!

I started on installing the DeWALT sliding table tonight,

The manual was no help, so I have to take direct measurements of the table to see how I am going to install it.

I found one thing right off the bat. I had the table top installed and aligned, but I needed 1/4" under the table front and back for the brackets you see sticking off to the left in the above photo. At the front of the saw that is easy, but in the back, the flange at the top of the cabinet came almost flush with rear of the table. I had to take the table off and grind the flange back about 1/8",

you cannot see the grinder in my hand, but the sparks in the left hand side of the photo are visable.

That's all for today,

David.

David, your restoration is looking great. I'm looking forward to seeing the slider attached. I have a unisaw and have often thought how nice it would be to have a slider.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow, that is a cool old piece of equipment, looks great! Be sure to post photos with the rails, sliding table etc. on. Keep up the great work!

Corey

That will be one beautiful saw David. I can see it is a labor of love. Where did you get that New Yankee Workshop sign I see in the backround of the grinding picture?

John

Sweet!

I assume that's not the original motor? Did you add it or did it come with the saw?

Gary

David, I think I recongnize you. Do you work at Federated tools? I bought a DJ 20 from you I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Williams
    Where did you get that New Yankee Workshop sign I see in the backround of the grinding picture?
    My Brother in Law bought it as a poster from the NYW website back in '99. He had it laminated and gave it to me for Christmas that year.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sutherland
    I assume that's not the original motor? Did you add it or did it come with the saw?
    The original motor was 2hp, 575v, 3ph. I have been buying all the parts I needed for this saw as I found them or could afford them. I picked up this motor about a 6 months ago. The Unisaw has a very specific motor mount, so there are only a handful of motor options for a Unisaw.

David.

Way Cool Man

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon
    David, I think I recongnize you. Do you work at Federated tools? I bought a DJ 20 from you I believe!
    BUSTED!

Ayup, that is me, I am the sales manager there...

David.

David,

You are doing that saw proud! It sure is looking great! Be sure to keep us up to date.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

these older tools are great thanks for the post.