Thread: Record vise knockoffs...Which one?

Record vise knockoffs...Which one?

I am considering ordering one of two Record bench vise copies, the Annant 53 ED from Highland Hardware, or the equivalent from Lee Valley. Annant bought the original tooling from Record, and are now producing them in India, All that I could find out from Lee Valley is that their vise is made in the Czech Republic. They are both 10.5" wide, and quick release. Since I can't lay my eyes on one locally, I'm hoping for some feedback re: overall quality from someone who has used one or the other before making a choice. Thanks.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 10-21-2005 at 3:11 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Hi Dan -

Don't know where Anant got their tooling.... but the Czech company we buy from was the company Record/Irwin worked with to produce replacements for the British vises...

Apparently, the cost wasn't low enough, so Record/Irwin then tried China, where the quality wasn't high enough....and they abandoned the product.

The Czech company was left with vises, but no customer...

All to say that the Record vises are no more.

There are a number of options out there - ours, Anant, Groz, Adjustable, Wilton etc. ....

Buy for the features you want, and from a vendor that'll support you. I would have no qualms about buying from Highland - they're a good operation.

Cheers -

Rob

Dan,

I've seen a bunch of vices, and used a bunch. IMHO I wouldn't buy a knock-off. If you don't want to spend the jack for a record or an older five liek a columbian or such, then wait till you're ready to. There are too many less than adequate vises on the market today. The other option is to build your own with a big heavy duty screw available from Lee Valley, or Woodcraft or the likes. Hope this helps and is not too dissappointing of news, but I just hate to see someone unhappy with a tool, especially with one as important as a big vice.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

4. We looked at a whole bunch of clones before stocking the Anants. What you want in a vice (aside from various features) is a minimum of play and a smooth working mechanism. Most of the Indian vices we saw had way too much play and slop. The Anants we tested has the same or just a tad more play than my 20 year old Record and by far the best fit and finish.
    As for Anant buying Records tooling. It might or might not be true.

Incidently there are two main quick release mechanisms - the Record system where there is a lever that unlocks the thread or the "American" system where you unscrew the vice a little and the half thread disengages. Both work, I'm a Record fan so I prefer the former over the latter.

As Rob says the important thing is "Buy for the features you want, and from a vendor that'll support you. I would have no qualms about buying from Highland - they're a good operation." and they are pretty close to you. Vices are heavy - freight can kill you.

I would consider a Groz. I have a large Groz with quick release (european style) and the fit and finish is exceptional. Woodcraft as well as others have this vise and I would suggest buying one locally versus mail order because of the afore mentioned shipping charges.

Cheers!

I have several of the old Richards Wilcox vises, and find that they work well. They have the gravity drop mechanish which is shown on the LN website. I also have an old vise that has a groove down the middle of the top of the threads, which is also OK but limits you to one turn to tighten. Shop around a bit and you might find an old one for a reasonable price. Last ones I bought were 3 for $100, and wish I could have bought more. Still need about 5 for the studio.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Thanks guys. There are no local sources for a good bench vise here. I've never seen a used one in the paper or anywhere else either. I'm leaning toward the Anant 53 ED, as I've heard good things about them, and would prefer the lever to gravity quick release mechanism.

Steve opened another can of worms here re: buying a high quality screw. I think I will start a new thread concerning that possibility.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have had two of the Chinese-made 52-1/2 Record-knockoffs on my workbench for several years. Other than a (what I thought was) slightly "sticky" sliding action, these have given satisfactory service. However, a few weeks ago I used a genuine Record version and I was shocked to find how much more easily this adjusted. You get what you pay for. When I upgrade my bench I will get vises from LV.

Regards from Perth

Derek

All three of the vises on my new bench are the Czech (part of the EU now - that's good news) ones from Lee Valley and I am extremely happy with them, two sevens and a ten and a half. Smooth, strong, heavy. I like them much better than my older Jorgy. I can't speak much for the Anant, though I did buy one of their bench planes many years ago and I, honestly can't use it, no matter how many times I've tried to tune it up. Maybe they've gotten better since then.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

Dan,

I've been contemplating what vices to use on my bench for far too long . I was stuck on getting a Record style vice also. But, not necessarily for the right reasons.
    This months Wood has a bench build article that uses LV front vice hardware for both the front and end vices. That is now the front runner for at least one of my vices. I was convinced that the bench top had to be designed with those in mind from the start, but the Wood bench adds it to a Grizzly supplied top (similar to the Bally top I have). In any case, the Wood may be worth picking up if you wonder what's involved in installation.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter