Thread: Some magic wands!!

Talking Some magic wands!!

(my first post )

Does anyone like magic wands?? These are some that I have done. I have done about five other ones beside this but I didn't like them as much! I am not a Harry Potter fan (sorry), but I do like some fantasy stories and I did these because they are good spindle practice, and I have heard that they sell well!
    I am no photographer and am really bad at photographing these so pardon them! Any comments are most welcome!

Jonathon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Hi Jon,

Your wands look great and your photograpy is just fine. I have made a couple but, Dick Parr one of our regulars here has made many. He ahs also made some magic brooms...

Welcome to the creek!

Those are great and a neat idea for some practice. Nice job!!

Corey

Hi Jonathon and welcome to SMC.

What a great little project and nice job on the pictures too. In today's climate, those are sure to be a hit with the yunguns

Welcome Jonathon!

That's an impressive bunch of wands! I think my favorite is the fifth from the right. What kind of wood is that?

Great job and, again, welcome to the creek. (999 more posts to reach a thousand )
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Welcome Jonathon,
    You are actually a fine photographer as well as turner, and I thank you for sharing your most wanderful work with us!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    Welcome Jonathon,
    You are actually a fine photographer as well as turner, and I thank you for sharing your most wanderful work with us!
    Frank
    Wanderful? Good one Frank.

Very nice work Jonathon. Cool details, handsome work and nice lookin' woods. Welcome to the Creek!!! Lookin' forward to more!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Richard Raffan has a video/dvd out called something like, "woodturning projects". In it he does what he calls, "Ego" sticks. Very thin, very long and according to him, useless except to boost your ego because you're able to do them. When I saw your "wands" (and I love a good fantasy story too) I was reminded of them.
    VERY nice! Deffinately worth the pratice and "wands" sounds SO much better than "ego" sticks

Welcome Jonathon. You won't find a better bunch of guys anywhere. Great magic wands as well.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Welcome.

Great wands in an impressive assortment of woods. Photo quality is real good too. Keep the pic's coming, I m always looking for idea's to steal.....
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Welcome Jonathon. Those a really cool. You did some great work on them. Beautiful.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking wands. My first thought when I saw them was batons, like the person leading the songs in church. (It's been so long since I've been to church I'm assuming they still sing). My family are all big Harry Potter fans and all concur that those are great wands.

Thanks for all the "welcomes" and the kind remarks. This really looks like a cool forum and I am looking forward to learning more on here!!! When I posted the pic I forgot to tell about the wands... they range from about 10" to 14.5" and (from left to right) the woods are mahogany, purple heart, walnut (with a vinegar/steel wool combination to dye it black), oak, walnut, cherry, ipe, a reddish african wood (dyed black), a whitish african wood (dyed brown), purple heart, more of the reddish african wood, cherry and ipe. After I turned it, I found that the whitish colored african wand (fifth from right) had worm holes in it so I filled them with wood filler, but they were kinda noticeable so I used shoe dye to color it; but the funny thing is that when I wiped it on it didn't go on evenly and it left an antiqued coloring which I liked. Again, thanks for the comments!!!

Jonathon
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Good looking wands Jonathan! I make several of those to give away
    to kids during market days when I demo for our turning club, the
    kids love em.