Thread: arbor and gate idea

arbor and gate idea

About to put up a 'green' fence up beside the house. It's going to be simple wire fence with a green vine on it. Once mature it will be dense enough that you can not see through.

Now I need to build a gate large enough for truck and trailer and an occasional bigger truck. Since the house is a Craftsman Bungalow I want to go with an Oriental style arbor. I took a design I like and modified it.

arbor.jpg

This is my sketch with some Paintshop details added to try to get a better idea how it would actually look. I want it to overlap the green fence but be in front of it so the vines don't grow on it. Gates are simple frame with Bead board ply panels. All stained.

Posts would be PT 4x4' with cypress details. Beam across the top would just be a PT 2X?. Just looking for input. I think it's fairly balanced and over all I like it. But most anything can be improved!
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 06-09-2006 at 11:41 PM.

If that gate is big enough to allow a biggish truck to go through it, I think you'll find that 4x4 posts look wimpy. 6x6 might be better. Or 4x4 PT posts which go into the ground, wrapped with better-looking 1-by lumber above-ground.

I really like the look of it but I agree with Jamie that you'll need something bigger than 4x4s. The like the angles on the piece alot.

Is this piec going to be flat? I could see the side posts being square open boxes with the same design on all four faces.

Looking forward to seeing the progress and final images just like ofthe door.

I think the comment about the posts are a good comment. Thats why I posted this here too. Yes this will be a flat so to speak structure. I am thinking that 4 x 6 posts with the 6" side facing out could be used. Save me a few bucks and give the wider look.

Here is a where I got my idea from. Oak Park Arbor Now that I go back and look at this one I am not so sure about the posts. But this one doesn't have gates either.

The main goal here is to screen the backyard swimming pool from prying eyes. As it is now it's in plain site and ever time a car drives by I feel like they are starring hoping to see a bikini at the pool. Of course they mostly see me and thats got to be a big disappointment!
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 06-10-2006 at 8:43 AM.

More photo shop

Got the fence built and waiting on the LOML to get ready so we can go shop the nursery for some plants to go on the fence. I took a photo from the street and here it is with the fence greened out and arbor in place.

arbor2.jpg

Still liking this a lot. I don't get excited about projects like this one too often.

Looks good and it went together much faster than those garage doors. You're getting speedier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Looks good and it went together much faster than those garage doors. You're getting speedier.
    Nothing like computerized woodworking.