Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lathe gloat!

New lathe gloat!

I just picked this up today. Now I just need to find some big bowl blanks.Woodfast910.jpg
    It is a Woodfast 910 that I picked up used for a good price. The bowl on it is 8 inches in diameter to give you some scale.
    Mike Vickery

Congrats. craigslist right? I was looking at that ad too but it was out my range. Looks like a nice unit. Enjoy.

Wow. That is one massive lathe you have--congratulations! Did you ever find the manual? Seems like you were looking for one about a week ago. Enjoy the lathe! I'm envious.
    Mark

4. Super duper, no outboard turning needed on that one!

Looks about the same size as the Vicmarc VL300, which I've seen in person, VERY nice!

Congrats!

Excellent gloat!! You'll enjoy having a nice, big, powerful lathe to make shavings with!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mike,
    Thats one great gloat. I might need to pay you a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    Wow. That is one massive lathe you have--congratulations! Did you ever find the manual? Seems like you were looking for one about a week ago. Enjoy the lathe! I'm envious.
    Mark
    Yeah CSU was the original seller and as always their customer service was great and scanned the manual and sent it to me by e-mail.
    Mike Vickery

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Mike,
    Thats one great gloat. I might need to pay you a visit.
    That would be great you could teach me how to use it.
    Mike Vickery

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Baldwin
    Congrats. craigslist right? I was looking at that ad too but it was out my range. Looks like a nice unit. Enjoy.
    Yeah it was the one listed on Craigslist. Not sure what you are looking for but you are not going to find much bellow that price, maybe a used 1442 or similiar capacity. I have been looking for a while and if I did not find a used lathe I was planning on getting a Jet 1642 2HP. This one is only 3 or 4 years old has a 21 inch swing over bed 36 inch spindel capacity, 2hp electronic variable speed and was under 1/2 the price of the 1642. I think it was a steal, the guy just moved and had 2 lathes this and a Powermatic that he used side by side and did not have room in his new shop for both. I think the list price when CSU offered then was over $4,000.00.

P.S. - AZ woodturners send out to membership when guys have used lathes for sale. If you tell me what you are looking, your price range, and send me your e-mail address I can forward on to you anything that looks promising.
    Mike Vickery

Mike you got a really nice lathe. Congratulation. If I’m not mistaken you can do outboard turning on the other side of the head like on the Vicmarc 300 (which I enjoy very much)

Very nice machine (green with envy)!!

I see from the picture that they shipped it packed in shavings for padding --OR-- you didn't waste much time taking it out for a spin.

Bill

Great find Mike. I have the short bed version of this lathe that I got from a used tool dealer here in NC. The folks at Craft Supplies are great; they sent me a copy of the owners manual and provided chuck advice like I have been a customer for years. Now it looks like they do have a customer.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.

What a great find on Craigslist. That lathe looks new! Curious though, I don't know what's in the base. Do you think you'll have to add weight. I just went through this with my smaller Jet 1236.
    Mike
    My Dad taught me to keep my mouth shut and let people think I was stupid, than open it and remove all doubt!

14. Congrats Mike!

Congrats on the new lathe! Color me JEALOUS!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....