Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: door construction ah-la hillbilly

door construction ah-la hillbilly

`cause some folks expressed an interest in another thread i`ve undertaken the chore of documenting how i build doors.

i do both interior and exterior doors the same way construction wise only exterior doors get weatherstriping, permanent thresholds and instead of pinned panels i use polyurethane airline to surround the panels to allow for expansion but still seal out weather.

first off i`ve built doors for various clients per their specs using solid wood, usually 10/4.....every one of these doors has warped with seasonal movement.....for those of you who are "purests" these doors where done correctly, through wedged tennons, mouldings cut into the rails-n-styles and mitered, ect......they still moved enough with seasonal humidity changes to cause sealing problems....

now when i`m commissioned to build "solid" doors i take another approach, one i`ve gleaned from the industry. most of the higher quality "builder" doors that are stocked locally are of a wheatboard core that`s been banded and veneered. higher quality "custom" doors are generally made of fingerjointed fir and banded and veneered with a slightly thicker skin. the "builder" doors are assembled using 6" screws in lieu of dowells, whereas the custom units depending on manufacturer will use stubb tennons and dowells or in the rare instance loose tennons. i`ve not seen custom doors available that use through wedged tennons........

the method i use now is i glue together a core lamination of the same species as the face. these cores are glued in blocks 3-1/2" x 10" x length of the rail + 2-4" for error. after the glue sets i`ll resaw 1-1/2" x 10" blanks from the block, surface them and laminate a 5/16-3/8 face veneer to the blank. the next step is to dado the rails for allthread, the reason for dados is that it`s a real bugger to drill accurate holes through the rails...i`ll stop here `cause that`s how far i am on the doors i`m building....tod

MVC-830S.JPG

MVC-831S.JPG

MVC-832S.JPG
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

tod..................Will there be half moons in this door?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Good start. What type of glue for the veneer lamination?

Richard

no half moons ken, plain ol` yeller glue richard, these are interiors..
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Door "A la Hillbilly". I don't think so. That's going to be a heckuva door when you are done.

I haven't seen any doors built this well in the home centers. You may not be using M&T's, but the glue up and resaw, and flattening has to be time intensive.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this door sequence.

Allthread? In dados? Todd, would you mind explaining further? As to the lamination of the thick veneer, do you bag them?

TIA

Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I'm with Alan, more pictures or a better explaination of the all thread and dados. Have you found it more efficient to resaw the 3.5 inch blank into 1.5 inch slabs than to rip them to 1.5 inch first and then glue and surface 1.5 inch slabs? I guess if you have a setup that can easily resaw a 3.5x10 inch 7 to 10 foot long hunk of lumber it might be pretty efficient. That would be pretty daunting in my shop.

Mac
    Mac

allen-n-mac here`s a couple more pics that`ll help explain what i`m doing.. the first three show a cutaway of the dado and allthread only these doors will have 10" rails with two pieces of allthread in each rail. mac the fourth pic shows my big bandsaw without the feeder mounted, that`s a 1-1/4" 3 tooth blade.....tod

MVC-836S.JPG

MVC-837S.JPG

MVC-838S.JPG

MVC-839S.JPG

[edit] sorry allen, yes i bag the faces...tod

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Allthread? In dados?
    A groove along some length of lumber to generate a slot in which to lay a length of threaded rod (Allthread is a brand) The dado groove is converted into a square hole when the veneer is laminated on. The geometry (square round etc.) of the hole being irrevelant.

That is what I read it to say.
    It's exactly like the tensioning rods in a guitar neck. The fret board covers the slots where the rods lay.

here`s an update on the doors.....in-between radiused moulding and 3-days off last week i still managed to get some work done on the doors. these are dry assembled with allthread awaiting panels. there will be back to back panels in both the upper and lower sections and the top of the doors will curve to follow the radius of the top rail......tod

MVC-857S.JPG

MVC-858S.JPG

MVC-859S.JPG

MVC-860S.JPG

Tod, these are going to be great looking doors. I have one question, why are the stiles left so long – especially at the top? Obviously at some point the door will be trimmed down. Is it a time thing?

The doors are lookin great....being such a newbie, threads like this really interest me. I've been away from the forum for a few weeks (new baby and crib to finish) so it's nice to be back in the creek learning. I'm curious to find out why the stiles are left long at this time....my guess is that it is easier to make them long and then cut the whole door to length instead of trying to perfectly line up the stiles and rails.
    Patiently waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Thomas
    Tod, these are going to be great looking doors. I have one question, why are the stiles left so long – especially at the top? Obviously at some point the door will be trimmed down. Is it a time thing?
    lars, actually the top rail is way to low in the pics, these are to be 7`-6" doors, arch top with arched jamb heads. untill the doors are glued i leave them oversized `cause i`m less likely to damage them. ....02 tod

Very instructive, Tod. Those are really nice doors!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

15. Hey, that is great, those door sure do look like they will last a long time!

I'm looking at your pics and pretty soon, I'm looking past the doors to the equipment all around, VERY nice for sure, and what is that truck out in the yard? Is it a runner, or are you fixing it up? (I just love old pick ups!).

Cheers!