Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Lathe

Small Lathe

Hi again,

I am looking for a small lathe for the basement and wanted to know if anyone knows any info on this one:http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html

Woodcraft has them for $399.

I like the idea of swinging head and 3/4 horse.

Thanks for your input!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

2. Pete, it all looks good on paper, but I'd want to see one in person.

Is this a new unit from General, and was it built in Canada, or is it an import?

On face value, it looks not bad at all.

Cheers!

Stu,

I just called Quebec and they said it is from Taiwan and won't be released till the end of the month.

Pete,
    First I've seen of that lathe,,but it looks pretty nice! I too like the
    motor size and the outboard turning capacity it offers. Nice price
    for what it offers IMO.

Pete, I have had hands on with this lathe at the Redmond/Rockler show last weekend and I can assure you that it is a dream machine and will most likely be in my shop shortly after they are released barring any bad reviews between now and that time. A nice machine thru and thru with a great fit and finish. Loaded with all the extras of the big boys and a quarter horse more than the mini's. The proto type I handled had a price tag of $539, but that is to be expected when they were not in stock anyhow For $399 this is a lot of lathe.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 10-02-2006 at 7:16 PM.

Pete as you know from Bob's post he has seen it. I have seen one also. Bob and I had discussed it. They are a lot of lathe for that kind of money. I was ready to dump $530 for one. For $399 you can't go wrong.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks interesting. 3/4 hp, three range speeds plus variable speeds. The only 3/8" diameter through spindle head is a limitation but fairly minor. If quality holds up it should give the Jet a hard run for the money. There have been some knocks on Generals here lately.

If I was in the market for another mini lathe, I would be looking at this one mighty hard. It certainly looks to have some impressive features.

Sounds like I better look at it, too. I am looking to replace my "traveling" lathe. If this is as good as it sounds. I'll sell my Wilton. Use the Rikon as a traveler and the general in the shop!

I have done my last working show for the year, so I can wait!

Bruce

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan
    Hi again,

I am looking for a small lathe for the basement and wanted to know if anyone knows any info on this one:http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html

Woodcraft has them for $399.

I like the idea of swinging head and 3/4 horse.

Thanks for your input!
    I called to order the lathe today and they told me the price they gave me was for the 25-100. The price for the 25-200 is $529. I ordered it anyway since that is what I want along with a Talon chuck.

Bob and Bernie's word is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan
    The price for the 25-200 is $529.
    That is the price currently listed on the general.ca website for US customers.

Interesting, that if I go to my bank's website today, it tells me that US$529 converts to $581 in Canadian funds. But the price on the general.ca website (ditto for houseoftools.com) for Canadian customers is $669.

I know it is hard to set catalog prices, due to the fluctuations in international markets, but a $90 difference is pretty substantial. This promotion is only good until January 15th... anyone really think that the exchange rate would fluctuate that much in the next four months?

(I'm not even in the market, but felt like ranting a bit and giving a heads-up to an other Canadians out there...)

I don't get it, Pete. You already have that big mustardizer.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    I don't get it, Pete. You already have that big mustardizer.
    I need to stay in the house more now that I am single. I am going to put it in the basement so the boys and I can watch sports, play video games and teach them to turn. I plan on doing the roughing in the garage and finishing in the house. It will mean I will not have to heat the garage with propane as much.

Hi Pete,
    That indeed looks like a nice "not so little" lathe. It looks like they have included the outboard rest so you can turn up to 19+ inches? I didn't see it in the accessories list.

With a lathe like that, you may end up putting the "Mustardizer" into mothballs .

Very nice soon to be gloat!
    Be Blessed

George

Where'd you order from?

Hi Pete,
    Where'd you order from,,,I can't see ANY General lathes on woodcraft website or any pricing on General.ca website either.