Thread: Drill press auxillary table

Drill press auxillary table

Hi Folks,

I posted some pics a while back of an 1973 Delta/Rockwell drill press. I was looking for advise on removing the chuck, hoping to take care of a bad run-out problem. Delta send me a users manual, and the chuck came off with a dead-blow hammer and a stick of hard maple. The chuck was damaged, two jaws were very loose. I popped a new chuck on there and reduced run-out to .003 (.015 with old chuck), replaced the 33 year old Rockwell belt, adjusted the pulleys into the same plane, and it runs really well. I built an auxiliary table, 28"X20", added a replaceable insert and made some hold-downs and a fence. I thought you might like to look!

drill press table 001.jpg

drill press table 002.jpg

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan snyder
    I built an auxiliary table, 28"X20", added a replaceable insert and made some hold-downs and a fence. I thought you might like to look!
    Nicely done! This is a project I've been considering ever since my new DP arrived last summer. Mind if I steal some of your ideas?
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

wow - very nice piece. I am with Rennie, this one has been on my list for a while now.

Very nice. It's similar to the one I have on my 'press and really makes the machine more "woodworking" friendly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rennie,
    I dont mind if you steal some ideas, There is not an original idea there, I stole tham all too!!!

Jonathan

Blog Entries
    Lookin' good Jonathon. I added a DP table right after I got my DP. What a difference in ease of use for the woodworker. I don't see how folks get along without. Well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Some ideas on DP table

I did my DP table a couple of years ago and have been happy with the design. My table is wide, but not very deep so I can get close to the action. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) I used three tracks while allows me to have a movable fence straight across, yet also use the screw down clamps (rockler) at angles. If you cut the perpedicular track a bit short the toilet bolt can be angled into the track when you want it. For a fence I use a piece of MDF with 2 knobs.

2) I mounted a cheap cross reference vice on a hunk of MDF and use the clamps at right angles to hold it when I want it.

3) For removable plates under the drill bit, if you mount them off center, you can rotate them and get 4 fresh back ups per plate.

4) I made a series of plates that fit over my drum sander attachments and rotary microplaner. By moving the quill, I can use the whole drum and get sanding surface below the table to edge sand

5) The whole thing is built as a box with a dust collect port on the side for edge sanding. Works great.

Anyway some ideas from my table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Busy scanning the "honey do" list for tool buying opportunities.

Richard,
    I wish I would have had the good fortune to see your table before I built mine! Having the short piece of track perpendicular to the other two pieces probably makes more sense, than having it parallel like I did. Offsetting the insert is a great idea, I wish I had thought of it!

Jonathan

Blog Entries
    Item 3 is one of those "eureka" moments for me. I would of never thought of it. But now that you share it, it seems so obvious. Many thanks. I'm going to factor that in to my next table (that would be me, dreaming of a new DP).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For item #3, you can also make this circular, and rotate just a tad for many fresh backups per plate.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome