Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYW Router Station Finished

Blog Entries

NYW Router Station Finished

I finally finished my New Yankee Workshop Deluxe Router Station today. It was a fun and practical project that I've been looking forward to using for some time. For the most part, it follows the plans to a tee except for a few enhancements suggested by fellow members:
    • I used aluminum T-tracks in place of the T-bolts and slots for the fence adjustment and T-tracks on the fence instead of cutting T-slots with the router - I think it looks nicer and now I'm not concerned about durability.
    • The dust collection was replaced with a 4 “dust collection port and Y-fitting instead of the 2” PVC fitting.
    • I added 2.5" casters to the bottom to make it more portable.
    Outside of those two modifications, I trimmed out the router table in Cherry instead of Oak.

The one frustration I had with this project was the drawers. Somewhere I made about a 1/16"-1/8" miscut, which caused some misalignment on the bottom drawers and the drawer glides. I was able to correct this fairly easily, but it still was a pain. In addition, if I were to do it over, I would have attached the drawer guides for the bit drawers after I did a dry fit and marked exactly where the guides should have gone. By not doing this and trusting everything was cut correct, the gaps in between each bit drawer aren't evenly spaced. It amazes me how a 1/16" miscut or mis-alignment can be so irritating. On the left side, I have a slightly larger gap between the taller bottom drawer and the 2nd to bottom drawer and on the right side, a slightly larger gap between the 2nd and 3rd drawer. Since it is a table meant for the shop, the slight imperfection doesn't really bother me, so I did not fix it.

As far as the laminate goes, I chose the particular Formica because Lowe's had the 4x8 sheet on clearance for $11. Again, it's a shop tool, so I wasn't too concerned with how it looks. - more concerned about how it performs In fact, I actually like the way the marble pattern turned out on the final product.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I am so happy that I went with the 4" dust collection instead of the 2" as specified by the drawings. Who would have guessed that I ended up purchasing a dust collector 3 days after asking the question. I now have enough suction in both the fence and inside the table to suck a tennis ball through a tennis racket. It's so nice to work with MDF and not be covered head-to-toe in MDF dust.

If you are considering building a router table, the New Yankee Workshop Deluxe Router Station is a very fun and practical project to take on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Malyszko; 02-18-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here's a picture of an MDF raised panel I cut with my new Woodcraft Raised Panel set and the new router table. Being that it was the first raised panel I ever made, I was quite pleased with the result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim - that looks great!

Did you "oval out" the holes in the fence bottom (that goes into the double T tracks)......to give some "wiggle room adjustment" when positioning the fence?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    Tim - that looks great!

Did you "oval out" the holes in the fence bottom (that goes into the double T tracks)......to give some "wiggle room adjustment" when positioning the fence?
    I did oversize the holes a bit to provide some wiggle room.

A fine job, Tim!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That's a great looking table Tim. You will get years of enjoyment out of it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Man, this is the 3rd one of these I've seen today that looks great! My router will be in this week, and I'm already itching to build a table for it.

How much did it end up costing you all together (if you don't mind me asking?)

L

Let the sawdust fly. The table looks good and I'm sure that the MDF raised panel won't be the last. The amazing Karnak predicts a few raised panel cherry, no wait, oak, no wait walnut ..... who knows what the future will bring.

Looks great Tim. I'm a couple days behind you and plan to borrow some of your modifications. I've held off on cutting the DC holes. I have to figure out how to use four inch DC, and still be able to shove it closer to the wall so it won't be in my walkway all the time.

Luke

Cost can vary with materials selected of course, but maybe you can get it built to Norm specs for under $200. That would not include a fancy aluminum router insert though. Project takes roughly two sheets of high quality plywood, and a couple sheets of MDF/cheaper plywood, trim, drawer slides, hinges, router power switch, DC etc.
    Last edited by Dewayne Reding; 02-19-2007 at 5:55 AM.

Nice Job

Looks great Tim,
    After reading posts on the creek for several weeks, I am putting off high end purchases of tools for a while while I work on projects with what I have. I think building one of these would be a good skill building project and if it turns out less than perfect is is a tool that few will see.

BTW, I like the color of the top.
    Determined to master the skew.....patience is a virtue

Real nice Tim. I might suggest that you divide up the dust shut off controls. You may want to freehand on the top and not need dust control at the fence of it's off the table.

Is that Bush stadium in your avatar?
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Very Nice

Tim: A really good looking router station and I am sure it will be one of the better assets in your shop. I know mine is! I have the same problem with my 4" dust collection you are addressing. The 4" fitting on the back makes mine stick out from the wall. If you find a reasonable solution, let us all know.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Looks great Tim! Nice Wilsonart/Formica covering. I do any and all projects with laminate that I can. It allows things to slide more easily and it takes a long, long time to wear out the top coating. I'm sure that router table is going to be involved in alot of projects you make over the years. Well done!

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Blog Entries
    Man, this is the 3rd one of these I've seen today that looks great! My router will be in this week, and I'm already itching to build a table for it.

How much did it end up costing you all together (if you don't mind me asking?)
    I ended up spending just under $300 for the materials - plywood, MDF, Large Router Plate Insert from Rockler, T-tracks, On/Off Switch, Cherry (leftovers from another project), plexiglass front, Formica sheet for the top, casters and dust collection. My buddy bought a pre-made router table around Christmas from Rockler for just over $1200, which included a PC 7518 router and lift, but it doesn't have any storage capacity and no where near the dust collection I have with my $300 hand-made router table. Even if I upgraded to a PC 7518 and lift, I still would have come out spending less than $1000. If you have the tools and the time, making one is the way to go.

Real nice Tim. I might suggest that you divide up the dust shut off controls. You may want to freehand on the top and not need dust control at the fence of it's off the table.

Is that Bush stadium in your avatar?
    Good point about dividing up the dust chute controls for freehand work. I'll pick up some fittings to do this next time I'm at Rockler or Woodcraft

That is the old Busch Stadium in my avatar and was taken in 2005. My wife works for KPMG (one of the big 4 accounting firms) and they have 4 tickets in the first row right behind home plate. We were lucky enough to get them one night and this was a great picture opportunity since I could get the entire outfield in the background.

They still have the 4 tickets in the new Busch stadium, but we haven't been able to use them yet.

Thanks for all the kind replies.

DC Port

Could you not sacrifice one of the smaller drawers on either side by making them a false front and then exit the 4" port out to the side. These drawers are so small I suspect you would not miss the capacity. As an alternative, just shorten the lowest small drawer and vent the 4" out behind the shortened drawer still out to the side. Just a thought as I am getting ready to build one of these too. I do like your modifications.