Birthday Waterfall Bubinga
I began today by cutting the walnut into manageable pieces. I milled the walnut flat and square.
I am going to use a piece with sapwood in it for the inside shelf. I like the look of it after finishing.
I glued them with the Bessey clamps and set them aside for an hour.
I decided to make a doweling jig at work to reinforce the mitered corners of the project. After some testing on some plywood, I felt ready to attempt the mitered edge of bubinga. Everything came out OK. I learned that a brad point bit does not work well with this type of jig.
Updated 03-21-2009 at 9:04 PM by Dave Verstraete
Several pictures of the top and side set in place.
Using a plywood board for a straight edge, I route with a pattern bit for a good edge on the top. I take small cuts at a time until the edge "cleans up".
Using the table saw, I cut the 45 degree angles where the top and side joins. I had to use a piece of plywood clamped to the board because I couldn't use the live edge as a reference against the fence.
After several hesitations, Jake and I began cutting up the Bubinga. The Couch/Entry Hall Table will be the first project. I intend to submit it in a local furniture design/build contest at a local store. I will use a jigsaw to cut out the pieces needed for the table and leave the rest for later. I already know where the pieces for the coffee table will come from (the other board's live edge)