Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did I build a workbench?

Smile Why did I build a workbench?

When I first started woodworking a few years ago the first thing I did was build a workbench, nothing fancy, just a solid core door with some drawers & a shelf, but it took me quite a while (as does every project since then) . I put some pretty expensive casters on it so I could move it around when necessary.And the result is:
    - I have never moved it , not even once
    - It's more a table to lay tools & junk on ,as I do 95% of my work on a piece of plywood laying across two sawhorses in the middle of my 2 car garage shop.
    -To be honest I'd say that but ,for a rarely used vise on the workbench, I could do without my workbench (I know this blasphemy, akin to admitting I buy tools at Harbor Freight)
    Anyone else have a similar experience?
    Dennis

Every tool with a table and two work tables all have piles of "stuff" a foot high. this is on top of loaded 6-foot high shelving lining the garage! I can't do anything (or find anything) without a major cleaning effort! So yes, I feel your pain. (me, barely getting a single car in a two car garage) I knew i should have held out for a 3-car garage house.

Not the same for me at all. In fact, I still do use a makeshift bench using a pair of metal stands with a length of plywood on top of it that is about 16"-20", similar to how you use your saw horses. I'm using that right now to glue up some boards.

I built a moderate bench which lives in it's own enclosed space and I couldn't be happier with it, and I use it way more than any other bench I have, even though it's not finished...for the way I want to work I can't imagine being without a solid workbench to use hand tools with. At least after having it. And yeah, it took me a long time to build, like most folks.

If I could get more room, or *gasp* get rid of some machines/tools, I wouldn't need to move stuff around as much, would like to get to that point.... I'm even thinking about listing an old Crescent Jointer from about 1920 to get some room. Great project for someone, I just don't have enough time...I have used that as a workbench once...*lol*

I know a lot of folks use makeshift benches and do excellent work, but for me, after having a decent bench I would say that anyone without one is cheating themselves.

I have a bench in my garage, but it somehow filled up with a metal lathe and a small mill...

None of my benches are on wheels as you did, but most of my machines are and I do move them around a LOT, I have to just to use them!

Oh, and yeah I pile stuff on most of my benches, you don't have any monopoly on that...
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

It is for just this reason I didn't go crazy building an elaborate bench. Does all your stuff have a proper place to be stored yet? I have a small shop, but worse yet I haven't fully organized the space that I do have. I don't have enough draws and such for storage of little items. I am doomed until I solve that problem.

No way I could do without my bench. I built it a long time ago out of need and it has served me well. That said, I have learned a lot since then about my own style of work and my needs for a bench so a new one is on the list as a winter project - not sure I will get to it though. This has not always been the case but I try and keep the shop neat as it makes things easier and more pleasant for me to work in there so the bench actually gets used as a bench.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Anyone else have a similar experience?
    Absolutely not. But I use hand tools quite a bit and a good bench is a necessity. My guess is that you don't use hand tools that much. Trying to hand plane on a sheet of plywood between sawhorses would be an exercise in futility.

My first bench was a solid core door on 2x4's and I thought it was pretty good. Once I built a real bench though, I realized what I was missing and working with hand tools became easier, better, more fun, etc...
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I'm a bit like Alan. I use my tables (yes, tables) often. They are piled high when I'm working on a project, but when the project is done I clean it off and put everything back in its place. One thing I do is use a sacrificial top. I put a piece of plywood on top, use it, and abuse it for 1/2 a year or more, then replace it. The base is fairly stable, although I'm looking to make a more stable arrangement. One of the reasons I have two is that while one is for the project, the other takes the piles. I also built a small table to put tools on while I'm working on the project so the tools don't get in the way.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

My shop is very small, and the workbench is essential. It's close to as important as my TS. I wish I'd made it bigger, with more storage and two vises.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

As Andy indicated, if you do hand work, a good solid bench is a requirement.

Try chopping mortises on top of a hollow core door on saw horses and you'll soon agree.

If you don't do hand work, any flat stable surface will make a suitable "assembly table".

Regards, Rod.

Hybrid handtool and powertool user. I use my bench a lot.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

granted my shop is still sparse, but im trying to force myself to use what i have, not keep buying more (applies to everything, im bad at buying crap).

2 rolling carts and 1 fold up table. i could use some hold downs (bench dogs do this i think?) or a side clamp, but i manage pretty well. dont even really use my TS top to throw crap on..lol.

i do need to lose the shelving unit in the corner. its a dust collector. i may make 2 wall cabinets to replace it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm like John Bailey - I've gota 4' x 8' worktable in the shop and I use a sheet of 3/4" ply or particle board on top of the initial top. It's great for doing rough drawings, math/geometry, or putting two scrap pieces on at a 90 degree angle as an assembly jig. Just sand it off after the project. Flip the ply over when one side gets trashed. I also have a full size shelf underneath about a foot off the ground for storing stuff. Even 3 shallow boxes on casters under that for storing stuff I should just throw away.

I built an 8' length of small bins under the overhang on one side for storing different types of screws. Extra blades and such are stored on screws into the frame of the table.

Dennis, I worked for many years with just some makeshift "tables" and a B&D Workmate and still do. Yep, currently just about every flat surface in my shop has "stuff" on it. As I plan my new shop and my projects that I want to do after I move in and get the shop set up I am including a workbench. I've heard and read about benches from many "experienced" woodworkers. Many of them look at a bench as a large clamp which allows them to work with wood more efficiently than they could without one. That's what I'm hoping my planned bench will do for me. Whether it will or not, just like any other tool in the shop, will mostly depend on me. Some day I'll report back what actually happens.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

As most of you know, I'm a fairly dedicated Neanderthal. I could not function effectively or efficiently without my new bench or my old bench which is now modified to become an assembly table and secondary work site. Your style of work will govern how much bench you need and how you will use it. I've seen some outstanding work come off of benches which were little more than a door propped up on sawhorses. In fact, I've done demos at public events using this technique along with 2 or 3 hand screw clamps in place of a vise. YMMV
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I have a 13x17 basement shop and have cabinets and countertops along the walls to hold the 12-inch piles-o-stuff. My "workbench" is a cheap 30" hollow-core door atop wooden sawhorses. That tip came from Family Handyman. It's lightweight and won't flex like plywood. If I need extra support, I'll throw a few 2x4s under it. I've punctured it a couple times with tools, but patched it with wood putty. It's lasted me 5 years so far and I haven't even used the other side!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shawn Christ; 12-30-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Add pic