Thread: Newbie Carving:)

Newbie Carving:)

I am doing multi work, some of it belongs to carving..u can see the work in following thread...please post ur comments

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83325

carving comment

Khalid,

I am a member of the old school when it comes to carving. I enjoy the process of holding a tool, and hitting it with a mallet, or pushing it by hand. I do not use rotary tools or reciprocating carvers, because to my mind it is machine manipulation, not carving. Unfortunately, I feel the same way about your homemade CNC machine. It's not real carving. There will be many that do not agree with me, and that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. It's just my feeling about carving.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Heine View Post
    Khalid,

I am a member of the old school when it comes to carving. I enjoy the process of holding a tool, and hitting it with a mallet, or pushing it by hand. I do not use rotary tools or reciprocating carvers, because to my mind it is machine manipulation, not carving. Unfortunately, I feel the same way about your homemade CNC machine. It's not real carving. There will be many that do not agree with me, and that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. It's just my feeling about carving.

Dan
    My dear Daniel
    First of all i am totally agree with you...I love carving by hand....but in my case, it is very difficult task (i have no carving skill), i can't do such a great work as u do....

I love carving, so i designed my machine to do so....But designing a thing and getting work out of it is not piece of cake... However i am happy whatever the outcome is....I can't compete u and never i wana be in future...
    In last,I am thankful to u by posting in my thread...

Daniel can i see your carving work???

givin a choice i always choose the hand tool....its just more satisfying. however i will use any tool to accomplish what i want to do. any tool, including home made rotary bits and specialty saws that cut and smooth at the same time. theres no rules.

Carving

Khalid,

I don't have very many picture here at work, but please take a look at these. It's just a simple chip carving that I did for my father, but an example for now.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

For production work, power and computers are the way to go. For an engineer, I'm sure the development and work are a lot of fun too. For me, I love the feeling of the blade moving through the wood.

I mean nothing personal against anyone, but I do feel badly when I see machine work replacing the kind of carving I enjoy.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Daniel.. awesome box..very beautiful carved and hard work you put in it...I think sanding and polishing will make it a great piece of art..

I will be very happy to see your other creations and thanks for posting up here...

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    For production work, power and computers are the way to go. For an engineer, I'm sure the development and work are a lot of fun too. For me, I love the feeling of the blade moving through the wood.

I mean nothing personal against anyone, but I do feel badly when I see machine work replacing the kind of carving I enjoy.
    John..you are right..i also love hand created art..but currently i am involve in too many projects like Fuel Cell designing and commisssioning in my vehicle, the initial test succeeded and in coming sunday i wll installed the fuel cell in my car..i am also involved in my Windmill project..My gas turbine for my model aeroplane is under maching process..my CNC mill give me relaxation for doing these jobs...Ohhhhh..i forgot to tell I am designing and creating the furniture for my home tooo.. lot of projects and have no time...Its difficult to learn carving art

Currently working on Deer Mantle...

Few more close up

Khalid, the carving looks good, even if it's done on a CNC, you still have to program it.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.