Thread: What the size of your workshop?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim, I have a 24 x 24 shop. I've only been in it for 1 year. There are times when I wish it was larger. Depends on the size of my current project.
    Stretch your budget as much as you can and allow for future expansion. Then just enjoy what you have.

11 x 22 feet - with a little cheating

The shop where we film Woodworking at Home Magazine is only 11 x 22. In that space we have all the power tools one could imagine for a home shop including a unisaw with a 52" fence.

The outfeed table for the table saw does break that 11' dimension, but other than that, everthing else is in that space - including all of the work that is being performed. The camera setup actually gets about 1 1/2 times the amount of floor space as the work shop.

I would recomend you pay very close attention to maximizing your use of space. This will create an efficient use of the space in both realms- work efficiency and financial efficiency.

If I were to build a shop I think I would consider about a 25 x 25 space and use it very efficiently. I would not waste the space by storing 100s of board feet of lumber. I would also look at a wood floor rather than concrete - standing on that concrete all day long gets old real quick.

Chris