Thread: How much is to much?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

35% at the gallery and 25% at the consignment shop

I guess I am doing alright then with my percentages being paid out! My cousin owns the gallery that I have a bunch of things and I still give her 35%, the little shop in town here they take 25% and if there are lots of sales and more paperwork they charge me $10 more for the month. Last month I sold 35 things so lots of tags to keep track of! Some places ask for your price and then add what they think they can get for it or add the percentage on top of your price.

Good luck!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

My Art Gallery gets 30%. Nice thing is she does all the paperwork, etc. I just take it down and tell her the price. She prices it with their 30% and put it up for sale.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for all the feedback

I had no idea commissions where that much. Maybe I should replace all those dust-making machines in my shop with money-making glass displays and start selling other people's stuff. (just a thought) .........Tony

GMP's are a tricky thing, most retailers shoot for 40% as the better ones have only so much display space( sq footage wise ) and must pay the " rent " on each sq foot available and only want to place the items that will " pay " for that sq footage~ meaning " turn over" .... if they think your item will turn but may take a while ,they have to balance the time vs the $( sale price) over so many sq ft and amount of time they are open and the kicker is traffic flow.Only when traffic flow is up does the time/sq ft thing reduce in say for instance a ... grocery store versus a furniture store, pet shop ~ art gallery , doing market research for my company... I find that stores that provide " needs " will have higher traffic flow than stores with " wants" so the " needs " stores turn over their product more
    ~ reducing the sell price as goss margin of profit is actually up when turning the same item 19 times a month versus 1 time in 4 months.. so the item has to pay the rent for ... yep ... 4 months instead of 2 days or less, hence the higher GMP. And in galleries .. well the gallery has to pay for the space / overhead and the sales persons pay check and that would be commission , plus they know the big expense you have is time ... (not materials which demand a minimum margin) so 40 to 50% is typical and like the others ... price it with this in mind ~ the gallery knows how much some items will bring what you need is a niche / reputation that can get higher $ for your name ... not your item. One example is famous people here on SMC vs average Joe ( like me) who can do nice work but a piece by so and so who is published etc could get 500% more for the same thing due to his " name recognition " status.... Good luck Tony and keep at it
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    I guess I am doing alright then with my percentages being paid out! My cousin owns the gallery that I have a bunch of things and I still give her 35%, the little shop in town here they take 25% and if there are lots of sales and more paperwork they charge me $10 more for the month. Last month I sold 35 things so lots of tags to keep track of! Some places ask for your price and then add what they think they can get for it or add the percentage on top of your price.

Good luck!

Jeff
    35 things!!!!
    At least in my experience that is outstanding. What kind of items were they?

I wish I could sell that many.

Good job.

Toney

They were bird house ornaments, vases, bowls, honey dippers, lidded boxes and miniatures. I did carve a couple of signs also. The shop is right downtown and when all the people who work down there take breaks and such they wander around and check what is for sale. There are 3 churches on the street also so Sunday's are good days! I will try and make whatever the customers are asking for, right now a lot of nice lidded boxes for engagemement rings and valentine gifts are hot! In fact I need to get some done as they are all sold out at the shop! I just took in a few pens and now they are getting some attention. Pricing is everything, I try to put a price that looks affordable so I sell quantity and quality!

If you find the right location and enough traffic things will sell. You could find a tourist attraction and see if they would want some pieces made that incorporate the attractions name and what ever! It never hurts to ask as one never knows what people are looking for!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown