Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is reccomended gap in thousandths of inch for dovetails?

Sean: Frank Klausz appears to eyeball his, some people use a gauge that has the proper angle on it. You can make one pretty easily too. Lee Valley sells some nice stuff for marking dovetails.

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2008/03...il+Angles.aspx

And the 14 deg marker:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42936,50298

No I meant pulling our leg about caring about a .0015 gap in your dovetails. At what humidity did you determine that? Have you plotted it at other humidities? What I'm trying to say is, "Put it together and keep going, it doesn't matter as long as it's snug."

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward View Post
    Sean: Frank Klausz appears to eyeball his, some people use a gauge that has the proper angle on it. You can make one pretty easily too. Lee Valley sells some nice stuff for marking dovetails.

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2008/03...il+Angles.aspx

And the 14 deg marker:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42936,50298

No I meant pulling our leg about caring about a .0015 gap in your dovetails. At what humidity did you determine that? Have you plotted it at other humidities? What I'm trying to say is, "Put it together and keep going, it doesn't matter as long as it's snug."
    Never plotted humidity but I live in Michigan - we have humidity extremes here.

Thanks for all the great info!

I will probably get into hand cut dovetailing at some point seems like a lot of fun - I will prob get that DVD – maybe do it on an heirloom project like a blanket chest.

In the mean time though, if I don't get the kitchen cabinets done soon my wife will kill me so I think I better get a dovetail jig and get going on the 11 drawers I owe her. It seems I have started to turn the kitchen re model into my hobby.

I can only imaging her fury were I to tell her - honey - I want to laboriously and slowly cut each and every dovetail by hand...

Expediency is important. Good luck!

Expediency is important. Good luck!
    Most surely when a wife's "fury" is added to the mix!! Get a jig - quickly!

Frank says it is SO EASY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-o4jryTkUc
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Rainaldi View Post
    In the mean time though, if I don't get the kitchen cabinets done soon my wife will kill me ...
    Sean,

I wouldn't hand cut dovetails for normal built-it kitchen cabinets, and unless it was a freestanding unit that would go with the client when they moved, probably not machine cut ones, either. Maybe for a reproduction hutch or whatever meant for a kitchen I'd hand cut.

My basic "good" drawer for pieces like wall units, library bookcases or closet fittings, better quality kitchen non built-ins, were machine-cut using Baltic Birch for the box and applied fronts; for custom freestanding furniture, always half-blind hand cut.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 01-14-2009 at 1:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Alan, does this mean that if I am using an 8# sledge, I need to work a little harder on my accuracy?? Just curious.
    You don't use the ball pein for force, you use the ball pein to pein the wood together. Sure, you can use an 8# sledge if you like, but I wouldn't recommend it. My $0.02.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Ahhh you silly wood machinists. Frank Klausz can cut better looking dovetails than your router in his sleep and he hammers his together. Are you guys all sure the OP isn't just pulling our legs?
    In fact, I have saved his quote, because I think it is one of the best quotes I have heard in a while...

"Put some glue on it and put it together. Slap-slap, If it's too tight,
    don't force it, just get a bigger hammer...bam, bam,
    bam-bam-bam...bam-bam-bam-bam-bam..."
    Frank Klausz

That is classic!

Here's the 3-minute dovetail the quote comes from.
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 01-14-2009 at 2:39 PM. Reason: add linky to 3-minute dovetail video which has quote!
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Genovesi View Post
    I've got to agree with Dave on this one...
    Me too.....

On another note as an X tool room machinist, haven't been in a tool room for 20+ years, I find myself looking for perfection when none is possible nor necessary.
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 01-14-2009 at 7:21 PM.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Rainaldi View Post
    Cool! Do you also use laser diffraction spectrography to determine the gap width?
    I'd use a tricorder if I were you...
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Sean said: "In the mean time though, if I don't get the kitchen cabinets done soon my wife will kill me so I think I better get a dovetail jig and get going on the 11 drawers I owe her. It seems I have started to turn the kitchen re model into my hobby.

I can only imaging her fury were I to tell her - honey - I want to laboriously and slowly cut each and every dovetail by hand... "

Eleven drawers - Piker!

Try 60! Only 55 show, there is a hidden drawer in each as well. You CAN do eleven! Go for it!

Mike

60 dovetailed drawers.JPG

dovetails.JPG
    Last edited by mike holden; 01-15-2009 at 7:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

What about glue? I find that by the time I get all the glue (titebond I) spread and everything fitted, the wood swells and I have a hard time "pounding" things together. Would a slow set epoxy or poly glue act as a lubricant?

amen

I'm with David. I wonder why rules and scales used in woodworking for former generation included 64ths at the most. If you can't see it to read the scale its a metal working term. Thousand's are probaby the rsults of people who want to sell a great array of new tools. Somethings simply have to be right other measurements can vary and never be noticed or have any negative elements. Harry