Thread: Router for Raised Panels...

Router for Raised Panels...

Can you use a 2 1/4 Horse router to raise panels? I know you can, I was just wondering if it does a good, clean job.

I am going to be upgrading soon and I want to make sure that what I get can do the job. I would really like the idea of one of the 2 1/4 horse set ups. That way I can get the fixed base and a plunge router which I currently dont have. More economic.

Thanks in advance.

John G

Yes you are right that you can. That is what I have and it works fine. If you plan to do tons of them, go with a higher HP or consider a shaper , otherwise 2 1/4 (mine is a Dewalt) will do the job with lighter / more passes should it start to bog. Also will vary of course with material choices.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Curious choice of criteria. The cutter has more to do with the quality of the finished surface than the motor. But the moxie of the motor does enter the equation. The larger the cutter diameter, the better the cut quality, but the more moxie you need to power it.

For the common horizontal router bit, which is 3 1/2" diameter, you ought to use a 3 hp+ evs router. Run it at about 12,500 rpm. With less power, use a vertical panel raiser, which can be run full tilt. Yes, you can power a horizontal bit with a 2 hp router, but not as well and not as long.

Bill

Yes...I've used both my Freud FT1700 13 amp router, and my 15 amp Milwaukee 5625. There's really no difference in the end result, but the 15 amp has an easier time of it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    I had a DW618 router mounted in a table and ran a bunch of raised panels through it. A couple of months later, the motor was burned up. I don't know if it was the panels or not, but since then I've upgraded to a PC7518 for the table and haven't had any issues since then.

Don't plan on hogging off a panel reveal in one pass with any router! Even a 3-1/4 hp router has barely enough *butt* to do raised panels. Several passes are required to get the desired finish. Observe the recommended RPMs for a large bit, BUT use the Max permitted! Quality bits DO help, such as the Freud 2+2 design.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Yeah and I wouldn't even take full depth passes with a 7hp shaper; it leaves a much cleaner cut with multiple passes. With solidwood depending on the profile 2 passes, with double refined mdf 1 pass. With a router 3hp is minimum imo, possible with a 2.25hp but be in for many passes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grabowski View Post
    Can you use a 2 1/4 Horse router to raise panels? I know you can, I was just wondering if it does a good, clean job.

I am going to be upgrading soon and I want to make sure that what I get can do the job. I would really like the idea of one of the 2 1/4 horse set ups. That way I can get the fixed base and a plunge router which I currently dont have. More economic.

Thanks in advance.

John G

John--

Woodcraft currently has the 2.5 HP and 3.25 HP Triton routers for $200.
    I have the 3.25 in a table with a router lift, and it works very well. If you're going to be swinging large diameter bits, definitely take multiple passes: for safety, bit life and quality of finish.

Dave