Thread: Drum Sander source

Drum Sander source

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can get a Jet/Performax drum sander at a good price? 10-20 or 16-32

Also, anyone else recommend other brand/model drum sander over the Performax on a similar size and price point?

thanks!

David... go for the 16/32 vs the mini if your buget will allow. It is perfect for a small shop but ins't so small leaving you to want more.

Download a program called SNARFER from here and set it up the auto search CL for you. Great deals of late in tough times folks are letting their tools go for pennies.
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 02-11-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

+1 for the 16-32
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

be patient and check CL. They pop up frequently

5. Ryobi used to make a 16/32 drum sander. Sometimes they're on eBay for around 250-300 dollars. Not considered as good as the Jet, but I have one (purchased directly from the factory in Taiwan) and it works well. Here's the link from the factory.

http://www.maoshan.com/product_1_tab...2&ids=6&page=1

Steel City used to sell a version of this drum sander that was slightly modified. Accura still has their version on their website.

http://www.accuramachinetools.com/ac...-sander-w.html

Dave,

I can't speak from direct contact on the Performax. But bigger is better...

As for the Ryobi that Perry mentioned, I've owned one - NO to the Ryobi

I know a number of people on the Creek have posted issues with the Delta, but they are Ok once they get set up correctly & like all of the small units work fine as long as you take light passes. I owned one after the Ryobi, they are a MUCH better machine.

I have known several VERY skilled mechanical people who have owned Grizzly drum sanders... the language these guy's used to describe would make a dock worker blush trying to get these working. Based on their VERY strong negative comments I never owned a Grizzly drum sander.

If budget & space permits go for a Woodmaster. I've had a 38" (sold this for $1,500) & now moved to the 50" They do have a 26" version of these machines which like the 38" uses a 5hp Lesson. The 50" uses a 7hp Lesson. The variable speed drive belts run by a 1/2hp chain drive motor on the Woodmasters are not sand paper belts but use the same heavy rubber belt material as a wide belt sander. These are serious machines, just short of a wide belt sander without the expense. Woodmaster has a sale on there scratch & dent units ending this month that is the best I have seen them offer, nearly used prices on sanders & planers.

I'd vote for watching the classifieds' or Craig's list or even eBay if there is on close that you can pick up.

Hope this helps, "Good Luck",
    jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

I have a Delta.Love it,and cheaper than the Performax. It is a LOT more rigid than the Performax. I easily adjusted the outboard elevation screws on the feed table to get not even .001" variation in thickness over the width of a 10" wide board.

The head of the Performax,or any other open side sander whose head goes up and down,is easily flexed. Put a thumb on the feed table,and a finger on the sanding head. It easily flexes up and down.

The Delta's dust hood is exceedingly efficient at getting all but a tiny amount of the dust. The sanding band's clamps work fine-no taping the sandpaper on.

Don't bother buying 220 belts for any of them. 120 is the limit,or loading and burning result. I am going to try some blue zirconia belts in 220. The blue ones cut a lot better on my knife maker's grinder. That may apply to wood in the 220 grit region.

Dave,

I bought a new 16-32 on Amazon for less than $1000 about 5 months ago. It is a great sander IMO The current price on Amazon is$1049.99 Free shipping is available. I found better prices online than locally. The local retailer has to mark up the price also. Hope this helps

Joe