Thread: These Are Sold

These Are Sold

As I have probably mentioned (gloated), I have fallen into a contract with a MAJOR clothing/Linens/etc. retailer... They are buying things from me to be used on high shelves, as decorations in International locations.
    Anyway, they are 16 & 17 inches in diameter and are on their way to a silk florist so that they can get filled with fake flowers. Then they go to Amsterdam International Airport and somewhere in Germany.
    New old trick - I applied some bees wax, then pit the wax in a piece of linen and used THAT to apply pressure to the existing wax... The heat buildup melted a bit more wax into the wood and gave a nice deep color. It's the nicest burnished wax finish to date... Now I'm going to get some carnuba and see if THAT can be burnished in, in the same way.
    Spanish Elm with some burl and sap wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by George Guadiane; 02-20-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    Change One Thing

Congratulations, George.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Very nice. How do you manage to land contracts like that?

George - those look great! Love the size! I have been thinking of trying one of those micro crystalline waxes because carnuba will show water spots and finger prints. The micro crystalline waxes (Renaissance, Conservator's Wax) supposedly do not have that problem.

If you are interested - the Renaissance is available at most woodworking retail outlets, the Conservator's Wax is about 1/2 the price and is offered through Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...190,42950&ap=1

Congrats on your sales!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    Congratulations, George.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff begin View Post
    Very nice. How do you manage to land contracts like that?
    Thanks Guys!
    Jeff, I was PUMPING that answer a while ago, I have a website, I got found by one of the employees who was looking for BIG turned wood items... She asked if I could make things like that, I said I could (even though I had never made anything that large before)... I filled the first order, she turned my name over to an associate, he placed an order, now she's back with another order - EVERYTHING IS RUSH!!! - and I don't know if or when the wheels will come off the wagon, but it is one GREAT ride! I'm buying tools like I'm making money (OH, I AM making money finally - for a change)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    George - those look great! Love the size! I have been thinking of trying one of those micro crystalline waxes because carnuba will show water spots and finger prints. The micro crystalline waxes (Renaissance, Conservator's Wax) supposedly do not have that problem.

If you are interested - the Renaissance is available at most woodworking retail outlets, the Conservator's Wax is about 1/2 the price and is offered through Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...190,42950&ap=1

Congrats on your sales!
    Thanks for the info Steve, I'll order some today and see how it works!
    I have to say, I don't love these shapes, but it's what the customer wants. I wouldn't make them for inventory, but I'll do it to order, they are not that pleasing to me, and they are a PAIN to hollow, even though I could bathe a baby in 'em. The transition is tricky to get smooth.
    Change One Thing

Congrats George. Looks like you are on your way. I have a friend in Florida who is a pro turner by the name of Larry Hasiak. He was doing just what you are. He quit after a while because everything had to be done yesterday. He said it bought him a lot of equipment but it stopped being fun because he said I retired and don't want another job. I just laughed.

George I quit using carnuba because of fingerprints, water spots, etc. I have been using Renaissance wax and it works great. People can pick the stuff up and no finger prints. It dries like in a minute and can be buff in like 2 or 3 minutes.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Those look great. That must be a great thing to fall in to. Hope it lasts for a long time.

Bernie,

I have used Ren wax on small items and like it alot. Brings a well used pen back to life in a couple minutes. I guy in my office bought a pen from another turner that finish disappeared in less than a couple weeks. I brough it back to life with Ren wax. He used the pen daily and I brought in the Ren wax about once a month to shine him up after about 6 months we fell out of the habit but that pen still looks good.

On larger items how do you use Ren wax? I picture applying letting it dry and hand buffing with a soft cloth. Would it be good applied on top of a Beall (carnuba) buff? You've sparked my interest.

Frank

PS: George, ride the wave. These things are fun while they last. A couple years ago I gave a couple stoppers out at a work Trade Association thing as congrats for officers or award winners, then the association staff asked to buy some for party favors at a big dinner. I bet I got 5 more orders off the attendees of that dinner. Sold more than 125 Stoppers by giving away 2.
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Congrats George. Looks like you are on your way. I have a friend in Florida who is a pro turner by the name of Larry Hasiak. He was doing just what you are. He quit after a while because everything had to be done yesterday. He said it bought him a lot of equipment but it stopped being fun because he said I retired and don't want another job. I just laughed.

George I quit using carnuba because of fingerprints, water spots, etc. I have been using Renaissance wax and it works great. People can pick the stuff up and no finger prints. It dries like in a minute and can be buff in like 2 or 3 minutes.
    Thanks Bernie,
    I'll probably be in the same boat as your friend Larry, I do turning for fun, and the deadline thing is NO FUN!
    I'm getting some of the Renaissance wax to try, probably put it on and buff it off with a lambs wool pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    Those look great. That must be a great thing to fall in to. Hope it lasts for a long time.
    As I said to Bernie, maybe not, but it is GLORIOUS now and I'll ride till it just isn't fun any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Kobilsek View Post
    Bernie,

I have used Ren wax on small items and like it alot. Brings a well used pen back to life in a couple minutes. I guy in my office bought a pen from another turner that finish disappeared in less than a couple weeks. I brough it back to life with Ren wax. He used the pen daily and I brought in the Ren wax about once a month to shine him up after about 6 months we fell out of the habit but that pen still looks good.

On larger items how do you use Ren wax? I picture applying letting it dry and hand buffing with a soft cloth. Would it be good applied on top of a Beall (carnuba) buff? You've sparked my interest.

Frank

PS: George, ride the wave. These things are fun while they last. A couple years ago I gave a couple stoppers out at a work Trade Association thing as congrats for officers or award winners, then the association staff asked to buy some for party favors at a big dinner. I bet I got 5 more orders off the attendees of that dinner. Sold more than 125 Stoppers by giving away 2.
    Thanks Frank, I'm not sure what's going to work with the wax thing, but I'll figure something out and get back to everyone.
    Change One Thing

Good for you, George. Hope the ride continues.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

They look great and congrats on the sales!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.