Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unitronix Polamco 16” Jointer ???????

Unitronix Polamco 16” Jointer ???????

Unitronix Polamco FJ-41.2 HEAVY DUTY 16" JOINTER
    Has anyone heard of this brand jointer before?
    I did a internet search & all I could find was the listing for this jointer. The dealer that has it for sale, sold it new in the 70's. They have not sold the brand for years & no longer have information on hand. They believe it was built in Italy. The jointer does not have a name plate. It was removed when the stock feeder mount was installed.
    The jointer has a 16 1/4" wide 4 blade cutter head with carbide blades & a 99" long table. It has a 5hp 3 ph motor with a cutter head brake & it is in very good condition & is very heavy. I would like to find a manual for it.
    It is now setting in my shop.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congrats!

I haven't heard of it but it looks like an excellent professional grade machine.

Did you get a good deal on it?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice.......

How much?

Chris,

The Unitronix / Polamco Machine line was manufactured in Poland. As I remember it is a solid no frills type of machine. I have never used a jointer of theirs but have played with a saw and shaper years ago.

Exfactory may have some parerwork on their website.

Charles

Thanks for the replies.

Thank you Charles for the information. I will check Exfactory.

I am going to get an estimate for getting a Byrd cutter head made for it. So tonight I pulled the cutter head out of it to get measurements. I found bearings I have never seen before. The center will tumble sideways inside the race.
    Has anyone else seen this type of bearing before?

Looks like a double row self aligning ball bearing.

http://www.bearingstrade.com/self-al...-bearings.html

CW

Polamco used to be a division of Poland's Metalexport.
    It seems the US contact might be possibly found here

And a little trivia:

In 1970's/1980's the president of the company was a Polish spy working against the US

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles B Wilson View Post
    Looks like a double row self aligning ball bearing.

http://www.bearingstrade.com/self-al...-bearings.html

CW
    Yep, think precision pillow block.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice find. Hope it was a good deal.

Got three phase? If not and it is your only planned 3 phase machine, get a VFD. Better option than a rotary phase converter with regards to space ease of install etc . . .

As for the byrd cutter head, I believe they have a 16" one for the Felder jointer/planer combo and it is $1,500.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Crutchfield View Post
    Nice find. Hope it was a good deal.

Got three phase? If not and it is your only planned 3 phase machine, get a VFD. Better option than a rotary phase converter with regards to space ease of install etc . . .

As for the byrd cutter head, I believe they have a 16" one for the Felder jointer/planer combo and it is $1,500.

Have fun.
    Thanks Calvin.
    I have 3 phase in my shop. I am hoping the head will be around $1500. It will be a custom head so I need to send Byrd ball park measurements for a quote.
    It has a big cutter head. It is 4 7/8" in diameter. So the price may be a little higher.

Chris, I have what I think is the same machine. When I bought it (over 15 years ago) Unitronix had some relationship with Fortis machine, although I am not too sure exactly what that was.

I had a Baldor single phase motor installed, and other than a fuse in the original start relay, a set of belts, and new knives, it is original.

Set the knives @ 1.1 mm or .0433 in. above the cutterhead.

Stock knives were 410 mm x 35 x 3, but I have been running 16-1/8” x 1-3/8 x 1/8 which are a little thicker, and I had to grind a bit on my wrench to get it thin enough to set the knives. If you want to cut a rabbet, be sure to project the end of the knives by about 1/8” so as to clear the side of the outfeed table.

I think it weighs ~1650 lb, and runs (2) 8 x 13 x 1400 mm v-belts, which worked out to be close to the 4L56/A54 standard.

The fence on mine has a bit of play, but I just park it against the base of the powerfeed to stabilize it. Someday I might see about actually taking the play out…

A Byrd cutter head sounds very nice. Let us know what you find out! I dream of one at every knife replacement.

I have the 19 page "manual", but other than an electrical diagram it doesn't get very detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles B Wilson View Post

....As I remember it is a solid no frills type of machine.
    Um....isn't that STEFF stock feeder a *frill*?

Jointers are pretty straight-forward machines. Not sure what other *frills* anybody would want....except flat, parallel tables and a flat 90 degree fence!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Great find Chris! can we get some some close ups of that guard. I have a 12" faux Oliver and the big pork chop guard is in the way when face jointing wide stock. I have been contemplating some type of hinged guard that would fall away during wide jointing (trying).

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    Chris, I have what I think is the same machine. When I bought it (over 15 years ago) Unitronix had some relationship with Fortis machine, although I am not too sure exactly what that was.

I had a Baldor single phase motor installed, and other than a fuse in the original start relay, a set of belts, and new knives, it is original.

Set the knives @ 1.1 mm or .0433 in. above the cutterhead.

Stock knives were 410 mm x 35 x 3, but I have been running 16-1/8” x 1-3/8 x 1/8 which are a little thicker, and I had to grind a bit on my wrench to get it thin enough to set the knives. If you want to cut a rabbet, be sure to project the end of the knives by about 1/8” so as to clear the side of the outfeed table.

I think it weighs ~1650 lb, and runs (2) 8 x 13 x 1400 mm v-belts, which worked out to be close to the 4L56/A54 standard.

The fence on mine has a bit of play, but I just park it against the base of the powerfeed to stabilize it. Someday I might see about actually taking the play out…

A Byrd cutter head sounds very nice. Let us know what you find out! I dream of one at every knife replacement.

I have the 19 page "manual", but other than an electrical diagram it doesn't get very detailed.
    Thanks for the info Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meazle View Post
    Great find Chris! can we get some some close ups of that guard. I have a 12" faux Oliver and the big pork chop guard is in the way when face jointing wide stock. I have been contemplating some type of hinged guard that would fall away during wide jointing (trying).

Joe
    I will post the pictures shortly.

Chris