Thread: Fun Boat Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mac,
    Thank you for your kind words. Actually, I am reluctant to show this project to a group of talented craftsman that are on this forum. Our catch phrase while we were working on it was.... "remember, it's just a fishing boat".

As far as the manufacturer, these boats were built from a mold that was taken from a P15. I really don't know much about the manufacturer. There were a lot of small boat builders in the Seattle area in the 60's. Point No Point Resort built about 35 of these boats at the resort with the help of a group of retired Seattle firefighters that were avid fisherman. I have very fond memories of fishing the Point with all those orange and green boats out there. Can you tell I get a little nostalgic about this? My boat is number 14 (the 14th boat built).

However, the biggest thing for me was the pleasure of sharing this project with my son. He had never shown any interest in tools (or work for that matter...) until I started this project. He was up every weekend and worked his butt off. This was a gift beyond my imagination. And then last summer on opening day he put the first fish in the fishbox..... a 21lb. king. This was like a dream. So, yes I am proud of the boat, but mostly I am so grateful to have had this quality time with my son. It is a beautiful thing when we can share our skills with our children. That's really why I shared this project.

Actually, my father and grandfather built some beautiful boats years ago. With the crude tools they had, their boats were masterpieces. Far more craftsmanship that we put into this little boat. My grandfather built a 35 foot launch while in high school which he ran in the mosquito fleet in Puget Sound to help him through college. He graduated from the University of Washington School of Engineering in 1915 with the funds he earned from this boat. He went on the be head Naval Engineer at Bremerton Navy shipyard during WWII. Here is a picture of his boat. HE was a craftsman:

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Johnson; 03-02-2009 at 1:46 AM.