Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Padilla's Garage Gut/Remodel

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Jim,

I just need to find the 3/4" x 1" male reducer...not sure I noticed any at the places I've looked but I'll check aqain....

Thanks!
    Chris most HD or any plumbing supply should have them.
    If you want to get it online here is the site I found the pic I have never orderd from them www.plumbingfittingsdirect.com has them

Well, Folks, I'm back to work. As usual, I didn't get near enough done that I thought I would but oh well.

I still hate plumbing but it was a good project and learning experience to move the water softener. I learned a lot about how the house is plumbed and what faucets get hard vs. soft water.

The garage is mostly gutted of drywall...the water softener is officially moved and working and not leaking...the HVAC has been gutted and now I have access to the drywall there.

I still need to button up/tidy up the plumbing move but it is essentially done and working fine.

I might actually get to some electrical work by this coming weekend!

Back to work, I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go....

P.S. Let me add that this will be the last time my wife is leaving me "Home Alone" for any appreciable length of time!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-02-2004 at 10:43 AM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

P.S. Let me add that this will be the last time my wife is leaving me "Home Alone" for any appreciable length of time!
    LOL!!!
    Shes afraid! very afraid!

Jim,

She is afraid. It was a fiasco moving the water softener but I'm glad I did it. It is in a much better place now. The previous installers were wimps to install it where they did...it was TONS harder to plumb it where I put it!

Here are some newer pics...not much exciting. I finally found a good solution to getting my water softener much closer to the wall:

http://www.falconstainless.com and click on the pic of the flex pipe. This is corrugated SS pipe made for all sorts of water hook-ups. I just ordered up 2 24" tubes for my water softener...only $8 a shot! I will put a nice loop in the tubes and scoot the ws closer to the wall. Here is where I am at now--you'll quickly see the need for the corrugated flex line I ordered....

I also had the HVAC system removed and now have access to the drywall there. I won't removed it all but I will remove some.

The last pic are the two most wonderful girls in my life...washing my truck! I could just watch 'em work all day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

SO...you're like living without A/C right now?? And SWMBO still washed the truck for you??? Kewel!

Nice job on the plumbing, Chris!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-03-2004 at 3:25 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Jim. I will probably redo the ?-mark jimmy-jig I did with the copper to mate up to the WS once the corrugated SS lines arrives. This will be the third (and final!? 3rd time's a charm?) reworking of the WS area...sigh....

You may have noticed some capped tees on the 3/4" (and 1/2" line for that matter). I am going to run street/hard and house/soft water lines for outside hose use. The 1/2" capped tees will be for the garage sink...location unknown as of right now.

The installer for the HVAC stuff is being very stubborn about NOT showing up at the house! He is supposed to come look at my gas line plumbing and "off the clock" reroute it for me before/during/after he installs the HVAC stuff. I can't even get him out to my house to look at the gas lines so we can communicate what I want done. I don't mind plumbing copper lines (well, I do but I can do it) but I don't want to mess with black pipe and gas lines.

I guess I just need to be patient. I need the dryer and fireplace lines put in the wall and the two large gas lines slightly massaged to minimize protrusion beyond the studs. I just gotta wait I guess....

So---- after reading all this remodel and lots of different ideas on your garage shop, I have a question.
    So-------where does the frig and coffee pot fit in? Those are just as important as a table saw!! lol
    Steve

Chris, I enjoyed reading about all the work you did and progress you made while I was away at camp.

I hate plumbing too -and for reasons I cannot explain I often find myself doing plumbing. However, I made a conscientious decision not to put water into my new workshop. I am sure that this was a good decision.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I love to plumb....... as long as I don't have to bucket it out first! You have to learn to love the hot soldier dripping close to your arm!
    Hang in there Chris. This too will pass.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I think it's getting close to time to post some new pics. I have made more progress but not sure it is really picture worth yet:

I had the gas-lines massaged...came out nice except for one spot. I'll see if I can get the plumber back in to fix it. If he want the remaining $200 I owe him, he'll be back to fix it!!

I got some more plumbing done for putting both hard/street water and soft/house water on an outside hose bib (well, two of 'em). That went pretty well and came out nice a clean for once. As I expected, the only joint that has a very slow leak is the threded section! I'll get some good pipe thread goop at the h/w store tonight to help seal them.

I have some electrical done but now the majority should start now that pretty much all the plumbing is done. I'll post some pics soon.

Steady as she goes...one task at a time!

I have some electrical done but now the majority should start now that pretty much all the plumbing is done. I'll post some pics soon.
    Chris, I can't remember if you've said whether you plan to do all the electrical yourself, farm some of it out, or what. Just in case you plan to farm some of it out, this outfit did some work for us just before we moved from Pleasanton.

Email: moonlite_electric@hotmail.com
    Call (510) 799-WIRE(9473)
    Fax (510) 799-9483

They're good people, don't charge too much, and are willing to work with you if you want to do part of the job yourself. Not sure if they take jobs down as far as SJ, but they do give free advice by phone, so they could come in handy anyway.

Thanks, Tom! Much appreciated. I have to admit that most of my "problems" (i.e. challenges) are in figuring out the best way to route stuff so I can get everything I need in and not put too many holes in the load-bearing walls! I think I've just about got it, however.

Jim Becker happens to be out here in the Bay Area today and will visit me this evening. I'm looking forward to picking his brain for my shop set-up!

Jim Becker happens to be out here in the Bay Area today and will visit me this evening. I'm looking forward to picking his brain for my shop set-up!
    Hopefully, this splitting headache will go away before this evening...but regardless, just remember how much you're paying for my thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Hopefully, this splitting headache will go away before this evening...but regardless, just remember how much you're paying for my thoughts...
    We have things out here to cure headaches....

We have things out here to cure headaches....
    Like what?

You gonna get him stoned?

I know he sports a ponytail but don't you think.........