Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5hp Unisaw - what do I need

5hp Unisaw - what do I need

5hp unisaw with scroring blade the model is delta rt 35 its about 5 years old with 3 phase electrical

I can pick this up for a steal. What do I need to get it running in my garage? I have a 220 outlet for the dryer in the same wall as my garage. Can I tap into that? What about the 3 phase? I assume a converter is needed. Thoughts? Should I skip it?

BTW... the steal is $250...

Thanks for the thoughts.

Jon

At $250, I'd be tempted to buy a new 1 phase, 3 or 5 hp motor for it and skip dealing with phase converters. You might even be able to sell the 3 phase motor for a few bucks to recover some money.

If you go that route, your dryer outlet will work just fine.

Still, I wonder that $250 is TOO cheap and that there is something wrong with the saw. Check it over carefully and run it if possible.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

yeah... was a little worried about the cheap price. Apparently (this is what the guy told me) is that it was in his brother's cabinet shop and he brought it to his place when his brother moved. Now he is moving and he has to get rid of the saw. He doesn't have power at his place to run it for me. I'm feeling the buyer beware thing here. Already have a contractors saw so don't really need a unisaw. BUT... I Want one.

Is this one of those golden deals you read about or smoke and mirrors.

Jon

I believe unless the saw was just obviously defective in some major form I'd have to give it a try at 250.00. I'd do as Chris suggested though and buy a single phase motor and forget about getting a phase converter.
    Last edited by David Duke; 03-27-2009 at 3:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    David

Like Chris said, $250 seems way too cheap. If it's in good shape and flat and sqaure in all the right places, then yeah, that's a steal!

For 3-phase you have 4 options:
    1) Have the power company install 3-phase. This would cost many thousands of dollars (at least).

2) Use a VFD. I don't think you could find an affordable one for 5HP, though.

3) Use a rotary phase converter. This is essentially a 220V single phase motor coupled to a 3-phase generator, sometimes even in the same housing. You could connect this between your dryer outlet and the saw, and it'd work fine. These regularly show up on the used market for cheap (well, about the price of your saw, but....)

4) Replace the 3 phase motor with a 220V single phase motor. This is what I'd do.

The only advantage to using a rotary phase converter would be that you'd have 3-phase power available if you ever buy any more 3-ph tools in the future. If you don't see that happening, then replace the motor with a single phase one.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    It is certainly worth a good look. A decent Unisaw will beat a contractor saw hands down (no offence). And at that price, a new 3hp motor would be a no brainer for me.
    I’d question the scoring blade though; Uni’s don’t typically have them. Maybe it’s an after market add on.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Good point about the scoring blade, Bruce...not sure what that is about.

I'd say overall it is worth to go have a look...spin the blade by hand and see if it feels okay. Grab the arbor and see if you can shake it or wobble it. Just make sure the spinny parts sound and feel okay. It may well be worth a $250 risk.

You could sell your contractor's saw for $150 likely and still be ahead. Good luck...post pics if you grab and it and gloat all the way to the bank!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Shoot, if it's in good mechanical order and only needing a motor and alignment, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. A new 3HP 1PH motor is cheap compared to the price of new saws now days and many times, old iron is good iron.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Scoring blade setup is aftermarket.
    Can't remember the co. name that makes those

The RT-31 came with a scoring blade setup. If I recall correctly the saw takes a 12" blade without the scoring blade or a 10" with the scoring blade. The vast majority came with 3hp, though 5hp was an option. I'd check it close to be sure.

The motor is another issue, you'll have to decide on the best course of action for your situation. A 3hp I would go the VFD route as 3hp< VFDs are cheap. Over 3hp VFDs get very expensive quick. Replacing the motor is definitely an option, though a quality 1ph replacement is not cheap. A RPC is a serious consideration, though a whole different topic.

At $250 it's a heck of a deal if it's in even half way decent shape. even if you have to sink another $300-$400 you'll still be way ahead of the game.

Mike

At $250 for the saw, you could buy a 5HP rotary phase convertor for a couple hundred $$$ and still be way ahead of the game. The RPC would allow you to buy other 3-phase equipment as it came along for similarly cheap $$$.

I'd go for it.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Mike, the RT-31 is a different beast from the Unisaw. They are known as a scoring panel saw.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Maybe the seller JUST WANTS TO GET RID of this beast! $250 will get it out the door post haste! Vintage Corvettes have been bought for $500 out of barns!
    I'd jump on it if it were ME! I already have a 5hp RPC, and I NEED a scoring saw!

There is no Delta RT-35, far as I know. The RT-31 is a specialty 10"-12" scoring saw, as has been mentioned. The RT-40 is a 14"-16" version.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-29-2009 at 1:18 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

14. I think for that price, if it all looks ok I would buy it. Swap out the motor for a couple of hundred bucks and for less than500-600 bucks you have a nice uni. Just my .02 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I’d question the scoring blade though; Uni’s don’t typically have them. Maybe it’s an after market add on.
    The RT-31 is not a "Unisaw". It's an 12" industrial table saw (panel saw and sometimes with a slider) and was available with a scoring setup when using a 10" blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...