Thread: shop electrical question...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chris. Thanks for the correction, I'm not sure why I wrote 90 deg. The SCR firing angle isn't even 90, not sure what I was thinking there.
    Jack. I apologize if I sounded to casual or cavalier. It was not my intent at all. The design of the system requires, that in the event of power failure the control rods will insert to shutdown the reactor in a controlled manner . This is the safe, conservative condition. Once again, I apologize for being insensititve. I am extensively familiar with the incident at Browns Ferry, having spent hours in training sessions going over a timeline chronology minute by minute of that event. That incident caused every nuclear power station in the country to have to redesign their instrumentation and control schemes to provide for safe shutdown in the event of a similar incident. These are the Appendix R, Reg Guide 1.97 requirements for safe shutdown. All nuclear utilities are required by federal law to meet this criteria or shutdown the plant until they meet these requirements
    Markus. After all of this, Joe may have the best solution to buy a new AC unit

Thumbs up Nukes

Hi MIKE, well I was really just kind of poking fun at you I certainly didn't think you were being insensitive to my concerns. I for one think that we will eventually have to bite the bullet on N power in this country and use it more. But I think that there is still a lot of work to be done about the waste issue and safety concerns from all aspects, especially after 9-11. I think that the Europeans and Japanese are using smaller more modern designs than what we use here aren't they? I almost went to work for TVA in the Nuclear division but landed a job with the Post Office first. As to the Browns Ferry plant not long after the "incident" a huge cooling facility there made of wood burned to the ground reducing the cooling capacity of the plant, never did hear the last on that problem. So hopefully people such as yourself will keep on making them safer and cheaper to run so we will all benefit.
    Last edited by Jack Wood; 07-24-2004 at 6:55 PM.