Thread: Shop Floor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm happy with the Rustoleum 2-part epoxy on my shop floor, but be aware it gets slippery with a layer of sawdust on it. Even with the paint chip sprinkles added, it's slick enough to make you pay attention.

I would still use in on the next shop, if the next shop doesn't have a wood floor.

Just my personal opinion, but I think a wood floor in a shop looks very elegant. Almost makes your stationary tools look like furniture!

Quote Originally Posted by David Weiser View Post
    Just my personal opinion, but I think a wood floor in a shop looks very elegant. Almost makes your stationary tools look like furniture!
    David, I fully agree with that statement and would love to have a wood floor in my shop. Unfortunately the cost right now is far too high for that at least for me. I've been studying all the alternatives and have decided to use the Quikrete product that is carried by Lowe's . It can be tinted in a wide range of colors (not just the gray and tan shown on their website). BTW -- Here in Southern California the solvent based epoxy in unavailable to homeowners.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 03-31-2009 at 8:39 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I was in the same boat 3 years ago when we moved. The first thing I did (on a side note) was to paint all the walls and the ceiling with Semi Gloss White. Really made a difference.

I researched the epoxy coatings on here as well and I went with

http://www.epoxy-coat.com

It has been excellent. No Chipping, Hot tires do not stick to it, overall I am very happy. The only thing I would change is that my floor was not perfectly smooth. There are some rough patches and the coating enhanced that. I should have had the floor ground flat but that was not the products fault.

I did add the flake to mine but I did NOT add the grit. If you will be walking on the floor when it is wet I would recommend adding it. The coating is very slick when it gets wet. Just an FYI...

I believe Chris P went with another "Higher End" epoxy that he was happy with as well.

Here is the link to another thread that might help

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...oxy#post781455
    Last edited by Greg Narozniak; 03-31-2009 at 9:02 AM.

You can mix non-skid material (sand, basically) with the epoxy to make it a bit less slick. It comes in various grits, just like sandpaper.

I epoxy'ed my garage floor, and it does make cleanup etc much nicer. I bought a garage floor epoxy kit at the borg and it held up nicely to motorcycle kickstands, tools, etc.

One note, there is a container of pretty colored flecks to sprinkle over the wet epoxy for appearance sake. If you use them, it's a lot harder to find small items when you drop them. Smooth grey floor looks just fine.

As Greg noted, I went with the www.ucoatit.com stuff but it is more spendy.

Wood floors in garages are tough to do simply because garage floors are rarely flat and they often flare/taper up at the edges.

Now if your shop was a regular room or built with a flat concrete floor, I'd be tempted to lay down wood.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I've been considering epoxy for my shop floor in the basement. I was cautioned by one person who did this and said the combination of sawdust on a epoxy coated floor is so slipery it's dangerous. Anyone have any comments on this? I know you can add grit to increase the traction, but this hinders sweeping sawdust. We 've used the Sherwin Williams 2 part expoxy at work and it performs nicely (like in our break room).

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    I've been considering epoxy for my shop floor in the basement. I was cautioned by one person who did this and said the combination of sawdust on a epoxy coated floor is so slipery it's dangerous. Anyone have any comments on this? I know you can add grit to increase the traction, but this hinders sweeping sawdust. We 've used the Sherwin Williams 2 part expoxy at work and it performs nicely (like in our break room).
    I don't think it is THAT slippery. I mean, it isn't like you're walking on a sheet of ice or anything. It is a little bit slippery but only to the point of it being very easy to sweep up. I've never worried an iota walking on it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Eddard View Post
    I'm happy with the Rustoleum 2-part epoxy on my shop floor, but be aware it gets slippery with a layer of sawdust on it. Even with the paint chip sprinkles added, it's slick enough to make you pay attention.

I would still use in on the next shop, if the next shop doesn't have a wood floor.
    I seem to recall an article about this (FWW?) and it recommended mixing a little sand(again ?) with the epoxy for a no-slip surface. I'll look it up later today, and post my findings...

When we bought our new house a couple of summers back, the shed (14 by 16) was designated as the shop. It has a concrete floor, and while I was used to having that in the places we had rented prior to here, now that it is our place, I really wished I had done something about the floor before moving in.

In retrospect, I would, at least, put epoxy down before moving the tools in. Since it is a standalone building and also serving as a garage, I would have considered putting in a wood floor. Much easier on the feet and back, especially when it is an option.

Just something to think about . . . .

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.