Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chess Set

Chess Set

Here is a chess set I recently completed. It's made from spalted Maple and Walnut. The knights were a real challenge since this was my first time with hand carving (or carving of any kind for that matter...)

I'm working on the table to go with the set now. It's hard to show scale without putting a ruler in the picture, but the kings are about 5" tall and the base is about 2" in diameter.

If I'd known what a pain spalted Maple is to work with I would have avoided it, but my wood source happened to have a nice big piece when I asked him for Maple, and not knowing better, I took it. I like the effect, but what a pain!

This is also my first real project on the lathe, so lots of firsts for me with this project...

PICT0165.JPG PICT0166.JPG PICT0167.JPG PICT0169.JPG PICT0171.JPG
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

more pics

PICT0172.JPG PICT0173.JPG PICT0174.JPG PICT0176.JPG
    And finally, my youngest REALLY like the "horsies"
    PICT0178.JPG
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

That's a fine set!.

Have you made the board yet?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    Beautiful....

Nice and do you still have all your fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    That's a fine set!.

Have you made the board yet?
    Nope, that's what I'm working on now. I have about a month to get it done, so I have to get cracking...

Quote Originally Posted by John Olson View Post
    Nice and do you still have all your fingers?
    Still got 'em all, but they have a few scars that weren't there before...

The set is beutiful Don... but I am partial to those spalted figures. I have never seen chess pieces made from spalted and they are absolutely beautiful. The way you finished them gives me the appearance of polished bone.

Great job...

Sarge..

Beautifully done.

I confess to being a traditionalist when it comes to chess pieces, preferring standard Staunton style pieces to almost any I see turners crank out. Your effort (with the possible exception of the triple bead) is one that I would enjoy using very much. I am a sucker for spalted, they are huge, and they are nicely shaped in a modern way. What a glorious set!

Those are amazing!! You did a fantastic job on them!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sontag View Post
    Beautifully done.

I confess to being a traditionalist when it comes to chess pieces, preferring standard Staunton style pieces to almost any I see turners crank out. Your effort (with the possible exception of the triple bead) is one that I would enjoy using very much. I am a sucker for spalted, they are huge, and they are nicely shaped in a modern way. What a glorious set!
    Thanks Tom, I'm more of a traditionalist too when it comes to chess pieces. I just couldn't bring myself to make a really modernistic looking set although I was tempted because it would have been much simpler.

I was close to making a replica of Benjamin Franklin's chess set because I'm a history buff and it's the oldest known American chess set, but I'm glad I bit the bullet and carved the knights.

This set is based closely on the Staunton Zagreb '59 design.

Don

that is a fantastic looking chess set

Oh, to have that kind of talent. I made all three of my boys chess boards, but had to go with the plastic pieces in the pull out drawer. Those pieces will make any board; I can't imagine how your board will look with the quality workmanship abilities you possess! Can't wait to see your chess board!

Wow! Great job and nice uniformity overall. Just one question....why the extra queens?

Great job, your a true craftsman. Thanks for sharing.

JP