Thread: Urethane over paint?

Urethane over paint?

Did the search and didn't find anything.

Does anybody know if you can topcoat Arm-r-seal oil and urethane satin over Behr premium plus interior sateen lustre enamel?

Can says easy to clean, but I'm not so sure.

This is on a kitchen cart and we painted the main frame of the cart with the black enamel, paint has a finish that seems rough enough to pick up dust and such (sawdust in this case) and doesn't want to clean like a smooth finish would, thinking of top coating it with the uretane...this work?

tia

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    Did the search and didn't find anything.

Does anybody know if you can topcoat Arm-r-seal oil and urethane satin over Behr premium plus interior sateen lustre enamel?
    This is on a kitchen cart and we painted the main frame of the cart with the black enamel, paint has a finish that seems rough enough to pick up dust and such (sawdust in this case) and doesn't want to clean like a smooth finish would, thinking of top coating it with the uretane...this work?

tia

Al
    I'm sure Behr will not tell you if another manufacturers product will coat it or not but they will tell you if they have a product that can be used over it. Call Behr and speak to a tech rep.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Thanks, I got the "it may work, but you might want to try it on a test piece first" I figure liability keeps the replies pretty milk toast.

But...that's what I'll do, nice day to watch paint dry and sip a Capt'n coke..

Al, why was the finish black coat rough? Was it subject to dust or other contaminates while drying? Usually a clear coat of urethane can be applied over most any paint or lacquer. Sometimes it will change the color of the original somewhat. Testing is always prudent.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Paint was a satin luster, and it seemed the texture was just rough enough to have sawdust stick to it, applied three coats just like the paint can said and the paint chip has that same texture.

Think Rustoelum BBQ black and the finish it has.

Probably be ok, but I figured a clear covering coat would make cleaning easier and protect it a bit better.

Did try a couple of coats of urethane this weekend and it seems to be working well.

so far.....

al

I think you 're home free.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

>> but I figured a clear covering coat would make cleaning easier and protect it a bit better.

Maybe, but for sure it would change the look of the finish. You would end up with a black glossy finish, not the matte finish you would have from BBQ black.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    >> but I figured a clear covering coat would make cleaning easier and protect it a bit better.

Maybe, but for sure it would change the look of the finish. You would end up with a black glossy finish, not the matte finish you would have from BBQ black.
    Used the satin finish clear and ya, I think it has a bit of a gloss to it, but not much, maybe more of a haze.

Wife was trying to stay away from the high gloss so it should be ok...I hope.

Al