Thread: Benchdreaming cure? Yep. Been doing that!

Benchdreaming cure? Yep. Been doing that!

In response to Dean Karavite's thread:

I started working on my first bench back in the middle of February. Here it is the middle of April, and I'm nearly done.

I started with Asa Christiana's design from finewoodworking.com, then bought and read the Sam Allen book that inspired his design. The project started out simple, but somehow became more ambitious as I went along.

I've made plenty of mistakes, and have avoided others by asking questions here. There's no doubt that I've learned a lot, and had a lot of fun.

I've been documenting my progress on Make Magazine's instructables.com:

Building a real woodworker's workbench

As you can see, I've not yet mounted my vises -- I plan on cutting the wood for the faces and plate tonight -- but aside from that it's done.

(I've not yet published the instructable web page. Nobody can see it except those I pass the link to. I figured on cleaning it up after I finish the bench. Advice on how to improve it would be welcome).

Great work Jeff! Feels good doesn't it! I swear, I don't know why I just sat around thinking and day dreaming for so long.

We have almost the same bench going. I have a 1.75" butcher block top, but otherwise pretty close. I was a little skeptical, but now impressed with how strong and stable the truss rods + butt joints can be. I'm curious to see how often I will have to tighten/loosen as the seasons change.

Good luck and enjoy!

Dean

OK, it's done

It's finally done, mostly. It's not the prettiest, but it seems to work.

The gloss is because I've just finished applying a coat of Danish oil, which hasn't dried, yet. I still plan to put a coat of paste wax on it, to keep glue from sticking. (Which will be less important, when I get around to building a proper assembly table, but it'll be a while before I start that.)

I've published the instructable. Permanent link is here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...ers-workbench/
    Last edited by Jeff Dege; 05-11-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added URL

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dege View Post
    It's finally done, mostly. It's not the prettiest, but it seems to work.

What do you mean "It's not the prettiest, but it seems to work." I am green with envy! That is a work of art! It should serve you very well!
    I didn't do it.....YET!

A great accomplishment. I'm basically done with (phase I) mine and I started it last August.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate