Thread: Penn State & Thien Baffle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Penn State & Thien Baffle

I've had this for a few weeks but wanted to use it for a while before posting. I have a Penn State 2 h.p. single stage DC. One difference between this model and others like Jet & Harbor freight is that it has a spiral ramp in the ring.
    Ramp_Before.jpg
    This presented a couple problems. One is how to attach a cartridge filter. Most methods out there depend on a flat ring as an attach point. The second problem was that the bottom of the spiral ramp ended almost flush with the bottom of the ring. I had to put the baffle above where the lower bag band clamp sat. I thought I was going to have to cut the baffle which presented its own problems. I leaned on the lower end of the ramp and -pop- the spot weld came loose. Halleliah! I was able to pop a couple other spot welds loose, raise the ramp up, pop rivet it in its new home and seal with construction adhesive.
    ramp_after.jpg

The next challenge was how to attach the baffle. I was doing this using what I had and didn't value too highly. Particle board fit the criteria. One problem with particle board is that it doesn't hold fasteners all that well. Solution? Cross dowel connectors, worked great for two of the 3 fasteners.
    Xdowel4.jpg.
    The third bolt I just used a 1/2" PVC coupling as a spacer.
    baffle1.jpg
    I did overlay the particle board with 1/8" hardboard because it was slippier than the particle board. Results? It works great! Before I did this, I cleaned the Wynn spun bond Poly filter I've had since 2006. Did the usual slap it (not too hard) with a 1X2, blow it out with compressed air then vacuum it out with a brush on shop vac. There was still dust in the folds. An advantage of the spun bond poly filter is that it can be washed. I got about a gallon of chips and dust(dry) even after compressed air and vacuuming. Here's how much dust and chips have gone thru the Thien baffle
    results.jpg.
    I took the filter off this morning to see how much found its way into the filter. Not 1 chip! I'm not sure about sanding dust but there isn't much if any. I'm thrilled!!
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-09-2009 at 12:04 PM.